[net.music] Culture Club and Pink Floyd

rsk@stat-l (Rich Kulawiec (Vombatus Hirsutus)) (11/06/84)

	There's a segment of the Club's single "War is Stupid" which
contains what certainly sounds like a fragment of Pink Floyd's "Breath"
from "Dark Side of the Moon"...I'm referring to the (wordless) female
vocal part that just wails away in the background.  Has anybody else
noticed this?
--
---Rsk

UUCP: { decvax, icalqa, ihnp4, inuxc, sequent, uiucdcs  } !pur-ee!rsk
      { decwrl, hplabs, icase, psuvax1, siemens, ucbvax } !purdue!rsk

techpub@mhuxt.UUCP (mcgrew) (11/07/84)

> 	There's a segment of the Club's single "War is Stupid" which
> contains what certainly sounds like a fragment of Pink Floyd's "Breath"
> from "Dark Side of the Moon"...I'm referring to the (wordless) female
> vocal part that just wails away in the background.  Has anybody else
> noticed this?
> --

I definitely agree!!!  I was curious if it was the same singer.

mwschwarz@watcgl.UUCP (Michael W. Schwarz) (11/09/84)

> > 	There's a segment of the Club's single "War is Stupid" which
> > contains what certainly sounds like a fragment of Pink Floyd's "Breath"
> > from "Dark Side of the Moon"...I'm referring to the (wordless) female
> > vocal part that just wails away in the background.  Has anybody else
> > noticed this?
> > --
>

> I definitely agree!!!  I was curious if it was the same singer.

I heard an announcer on a local radio station mention that the singer who
did the "wailing" on the new Culture Club track is in fact the same person
who did the "wailing" in "Breath". Unfortunately I do not recall her name.

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (11/09/84)

>	From: rsk@stat-l (Rich Kulawiec (Vombatus Hirsutus))

>		There's a segment of the Club's single "War is Stupid"
>	which contains what certainly sounds like a fragment of Pink
>	Floyd's "Breath" from "Dark Side of the Moon"...I'm referring to
>	the (wordless) female vocal part that just wails away in the
>	background.  Has anybody else noticed this?

That anyone could like both Pink Floyd and Culture Club totally offends
my sensibilities.  Just because a guy dresses like a girl doesn't mean
he has any idea of what art is.  In any case, it turns out that Clare
Torry, who did the vocals for "The Great Gig in the Sky" on "The Dark
Side of the Moon" is a member of Culture Club.

P.S.  Would people stop correcting Random, who said that he hasn't liked
Genesis since Peter Gabriel joined it and hasn't like Kate Bush since
she started stealing Pat Benetar songs.  He obviously wasn't serious,
and was saying these things just to annoy me.
--
				-Doug Alan
				 mit-eddie!nessus

				"What does 'I' mean"?

rsk@stat-l (Rich Kulawiec) (11/10/84)

> From: nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan)
>
> That anyone could like both Pink Floyd and Culture Club totally offends
> my sensibilities.  Just because a guy dresses like a girl doesn't mean
> he has any idea of what art is.

	If you'll re-read the original article you'll note that I did not
mention anything about liking or not liking either band.
--
Rich Kulawiec @ Purdue University Computing Center
{ decvax, ihnp4, uiucdcs } !pur-ee!rsk & { decwrl, hplabs, ucbvax } !purdue!rsk

6912ar04@sjuvax.UUCP (rowley) (11/12/84)

 The female backup vocalist for Culture Club's (aaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhh :-) )
new single IS the same person who did the backup vocals on Pink Floyd's
"Dark Side of the Moon" album, and in particular the vocals(? :-) ) for the
song "Great Gig in the Sky" at the end of the first side. (What a lousy career
move! :-) )

                         "...but I'm a good dog,they sometimes throw
                             me a bone...."

                                    A. J. Rowley
--
There is no dark side of the moon really; as a matter of fact, it's all dark...

                                   -"Eclipse", Pink Floyd