[net.micro.amiga] What do you get when...

rick1@sbcs.UUCP (Guest account) (10/27/85)

*** munch munch munch ***

Having purchased the manual set I'm ready to get started (da-da-dum-dummmmm)
DEVELOPING! The first example in the Intuition guide states that it is really
important to know the right rev level of intuition when you make the OpenLib
call. Naturally I wondered what version of intuition I had so I wrote:

#include <exec/types.h>
#include <intuition/intuition.h>

struct IntuitionBase *ib;

main()
{
	int i;

	for (i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
		ib = OpenLibrary("intuition.library" , i);
		printf("rev %3d status: %s\n" , i , ib == NULL ? "A" : "P");
	}
}

expecting that I'd get one P for present and a lot of A's for absent. Well,
I got one hundred P's. What gives?

Actually, this isn't a really burning issue but I thought I'd start some
new conversation in the net (although I really would like an answer).

Say, why doesn't the detailed manuals actually tell you how to add device
drivers? They sort'a skirt the issue.

							Perry S. Kivolowitz
							ihnp4!atux01!perry

P.S. I haven't gotten any feedback on my desire to start a New Jersey
AMIGA group - wake up!!!!

rodb@tektronix.UUCP (Rod Belshee ) (11/04/85)

> *** munch munch munch ***
>
> Having purchased the manual set I'm ready to get started (da-da-dum-dummmmm)
> DEVELOPING! The first example in the Intuition guide states that it is really
> important to know the right rev level of intuition when you make the OpenLib
> call. Naturally I wondered what version of intuition I had so I wrote:
>
> #include <exec/types.h>
> #include <intuition/intuition.h>
>
> struct IntuitionBase *ib;
>
> main()
> {
> 	int i;
>
> 	for (i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
> 		ib = OpenLibrary("intuition.library" , i);
> 		printf("rev %3d status: %s\n" , i , ib == NULL ? "A" : "P");
> 	}
> }
>
> expecting that I'd get one P for present and a lot of A's for absent. Well,
> I got one hundred P's. What gives?
>
> Actually, this isn't a really burning issue but I thought I'd start some
> new conversation in the net (although I really would like an answer).
>
> Say, why doesn't the detailed manuals actually tell you how to add device
> drivers? They sort'a skirt the issue.
>
> 							Perry S. Kivolowitz
> 							ihnp4!atux01!perry
>
> P.S. I haven't gotten any feedback on my desire to start a New Jersey
> AMIGA group - wake up!!!!

	If you read the Rom Kernal Manual It states "A library will be opened
	if you specify the version number or !! any number larger than the
	current library version number!!"

		Curt Jutzi

bobp@amiga.UUCP (Robert S. Pariseau) (11/07/85)

No Curt, you've read that backwards.  The V1.0 manual says that
OpenLibrary() will work if the library it finds has a version number
equal to or greater than the one you requested.  That manual also
says (in the Libraries chapter), that as of this writing, the
requested version number should be 0.

For various compatability reasons, we had to disable the version
checking in OpenLibrary() and OpenDevice() for V1.0.  This was
due to the pre-release software having version numbers like 29
(sigh).

We currently plan to re-install the version checking for V1.1.  We
will maintain compatability by using library version numbers like
101 (for 1.1 yes?).  In addition, the version checker will treat
any requested version number of 100 or less as if you requested
version 0.  Thus old code asking for version 0 will continue to
work and even older code asking for version 29 will continue to
work.

Any code dependent upon the new features in a V1.1 library should
ask for version 101.  This gives you a clean way to back out if
the user tries to run your new program under a V1.0 Kickstart or
with the V1.0 libraries and devices found on the Workbench disk.