[net.micro.amiga] Amiga with a small monitor?

dar@telesoft.UUCP (David Reisner @shine) (10/27/85)

I was sitting at a Mac today, and I noticed how much nicer the Mac
screen looked than the Amiga screen (I've only seen the Amiga with the
1080 monitor).  In particular, the Amiga characters and icons look
fairly course (especially visible horizontal gaps between lines) and
the Mac characters and icons look nice and dense - much more "paper-like".

Traditionally, color screens aren't supposed to look as dense as black
and white screens, so that may be the difference.  On another hand,
the number of dots per inch has a lot to do with the perception of
whatever-fuzzy-characteristics-I'm-alluding-to.  The Mac has a much
smaller screen than the Amiga, so a similar number of pixels total
translates to a larger number of dots per inch.

Has anyone tried using an Amiga with
	- a "small" (9"?) color monitor?
	- a black and white monitor, large or small?
	- a "very high quality" color monitor?
How does it look?  I'm particularly interested in text, window, and
icon appearance.  Perhaps someone has an Amiga and can borrow some
monitors and try them out?

I'd also like to reiterate the request for comparisons of the 1070,
1080, and other color monitors when used with the Amiga.  I'd really
like to hear from someone who has used all three.

-David
sdcsvax!telesoft!dar

rbt@sftig.UUCP (R.Thomas) (10/29/85)

> I was sitting at a Mac today, and I noticed how much nicer the Mac
> screen looked than the Amiga screen (I've only seen the Amiga with the
> 1080 monitor).  In particular, the Amiga characters and icons look
> fairly course (especially visible horizontal gaps between lines) and
> the Mac characters and icons look nice and dense - much more "paper-like".

> -David
> sdcsvax!telesoft!dar

Actually, the gaps between lines are probably caused by the 640x200
resolution of the screen.  That particular aspect would undoubtedly look
better if you were using 640x400 resolution.  But then you would probably
notice flicker, and that would make you unhappy too.  It almost looks like
there is no way out.   But wait!

Has anybody tried looking at 640x200 text with a 'scan-doubler' (which
replicates each line in the first half-frame into the line immediately
below it in the second half-frame.)?  I'll bet that the text and icons
would look quite acceptable that way.  Has anybody tried a simple
software kludge that sends out interlaced 640x400 to the monitor, but
the second half-frame is just an exact copy of the first half-frame?
With a simple hardware patch to replace the software kludge, it should
take half as much memory as full 'hires' and produce good looking
text and icons that dont flicker.  Obviously you wouldn't want to use it
for hi-res graphics (a long persistence phosphor would be better there,
unless you wanted to do animation.  Then you could probably get away with
scan-doubled 640x200, because motion tends to obscure jaggies and other
things that would be objectionable in low-res still pictures.)  But for
text and icons, it should be acceptable.

Would somebody with an amiga try it and report back, please?

How does it look?

Hey, you folks at Commodore/Amiga, what about it?  Is the hardware patch
feasible? How does it look to you?

Rick Thomas
ihnp4!attunix!rbt

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (10/29/85)

>I was sitting at a Mac today, and I noticed how much nicer the Mac
>screen looked than the Amiga screen (I've only seen the Amiga with the
>1080 monitor).  In particular, the Amiga characters and icons look
>fairly course (especially visible horizontal gaps between lines) and
>the Mac characters and icons look nice and dense - much more "paper-like".

>...The Mac has a much
smaller screen than the Amiga, so a similar number of pixels total
translates to a larger number of dots per inch.

The Mac has square pixels, which I think also gives much more dense
"paper-like" graphics, due to the lack of space between the pixel
sides.

   '`'`
   Ken
   '`'`'

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) (10/30/85)

In article <213@telesoft.UUCP> dar@telesoft.UUCP (David Reisner @shine) writes:

>the Mac characters and icons look nice and dense - much more "paper-like".

	It's important to realize that the Macintosh monitor (Samsung) is not
your standard black-and-white monitor. It operates at a higher scan frequency
and has an extraordinary bandpass. Couple this with a high-quality character
generator and you have the Mac. You'll have to concentrate to see any flicker.

> The Mac has a much smaller screen than the Amiga, so a similar number of
> pixels total translates to a larger number of dots per inch.

	Comparing the color monitor to a black-and-white really isn't
fair. A pixel in color is three times the size of a pixel in a monochrome
monitor of equivalent bandpass. To get a color resolution equal to the
Mac's B&W resolution will require thousand(s) of dollars.

>Has anyone tried using an Amiga with
>	- a black and white monitor, large or small?

	Yes, the spatial resolution is much sharper and this is probably
the solution for text work.

>	- a "very high quality" color monitor?

	I just obtained a SONY KV-1311CR, and I can comment after I solve
the great cabling maze. Also, I need to take delivery of my Amiga.

>How does it look?

	We'll see.
				Jere Marrs
				Tektronix, Inc.
				Beaverton, Oregon
			tektronix!tekcrl!tekgvs!jerem

mikel@ccvaxa.UUCP (10/30/85)

I didn't buy their monitor when I get my system.  What I am running until I find
the monitor I really want to use is a VT240 head.  I made some cables up to
connect	up (you need the external sync also) the analog RGB outputs.  I also
have a small 9" high res (or at least they say it is) that looks good.

LLi.ES@Xerox.ARPA (10/30/85)

From: LLi.ES@Xerox.ARPA

Is there a hardware limitation which prevents the Amiga to send 640x400
NON-interlaced to a monitor which can display at that resolution?  If
so, where is the pinch point?

Leonard.

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (10/31/85)

> Has anybody tried looking at 640x200 text with a 'scan-doubler' (which
> replicates each line in the first half-frame into the line immediately
> below it in the second half-frame.)?  I'll bet that the text and icons
>
> Rick Thomas
> ihnp4!attunix!rbt

A scan doubler for the Amiga is not such a trivial matter as on the
IBM PC. There the RGB etc. signals are digital and can be stored
in a simple memory scheme for repeating the line. This is how the
Princeton Graphics Scan DOubler board works on the PC giving a very
nice looking 31.5 kHz scan rate.

On the Amiga the video output is analog RGB, that's the only way
you can get so many colors. So a scan doubler would have to have a
method of storing a line in analog form. No easy matter.

There is a digital RGB output port on the Amiga but I don't know
if anyone uses it. If they did they would have to use a non-Amiga
monitor and would lose the color range.

    - Mike Gingell   ...decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg

Felton.PA@Xerox.ARPA (11/01/85)

From: Felton.PA@Xerox.ARPA

Yes,
	There is a limitation which prevents the Amiga from sending 640x400
non-interlaced to a monitor which can display at that resolution. I was
at a lecture at Stanford yesterday which was given by Jay Miner. He said
that it wasn't possible. I'm not hardware oriented but it seems to me
that this is due to limited bandwidth. Displaying non-interlaced 640x400
would require moving twice as much data to the screen every 60th of a
second.

John

rick1@sbcs.UUCP (Guest account) (11/04/85)

> Has anybody tried looking at 640x200 text with a 'scan-doubler' (which
> replicates each line in the first half-frame into the line immediately
> below it in the second half-frame.)?  I'll bet that the text and icons
> would look quite acceptable that way.  Has anybody tried a simple
> software kludge that sends out interlaced 640x400 to the monitor, but
> the second half-frame is just an exact copy of the first half-frame?
> With a simple hardware patch to replace the software kludge, it should
>
> Rick Thomas
> ihnp4!attunix!rbt

No need, I remember reading in the ROM Kernel manual that AMIGA already
supports interlacing by doubling scan lines. It requires just a few
lines of C code (and away you go).

						Perry S. Kivolowitz

bees@infoswx.UUCP (11/05/85)

>>Has anyone tried using an Amiga with
>>	- a black and white monitor, large or small?
>	Yes, the spatial resolution is much sharper and this is probably
>the solution for text work.

What kind?  Which connector on the Amiga?  Cabling?

>>	- a "very high quality" color monitor?
>	I just obtained a SONY KV-1311CR, and I can comment after I solve
>the great cabling maze. Also, I need to take delivery of my Amiga.

According to the Sony product information that I have, the KV-1311CR
has an Aperature Grill Pitch of .37 mm.  This is better than the 1080
monitor (.39 mm), but not as good as the 1070 (.31 mm).

I'd be interested to know how well it works out, and what kind of
cabling you came up with.  I'd also be intested to know what a Sony
CPD-900 or CPD-1201 monitor looks like on the Amiga.  They both have
a .25 mm pitch, but have 640x240 and 800x240 (respectively) dot
resolution.  Would the difference in dots cause the screen to look
screwy and out of proportion?

Ray Davis

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (11/08/85)

> From: LLi.ES@Xerox.ARPA
>
> Is there a hardware limitation which prevents the Amiga to send 640x400
> NON-interlaced to a monitor which can display at that resolution?  If
> so, where is the pinch point?
>
> Leonard.

I asked a similar question a while back and follows is the reply from
Dale Luck of Commodore-Amiga. The problem is that AGNUS is not capable
of shoving the bits out to the video circuit any faster. This is a
pretty common problem for most graphics hardware since there are
lots of variables to account for when accessing the RAM data. ('frinstance
access time, whether or not a refresh is happening, and how many pixels
you get in one read.) This is necessated by the fact that the 68K shares
the memory that the video stuff uses and if you tried to get 640 X 400
4 bit pixels out to the monitor every 60th of a second there would take
a transfer rate of 7.68 Mbytes/sec leaving only 4% of the available 8Mhz
bus to the CPU and other peripherals.

--Chuck McManis