[net.sf-lovers] Old Pa and other Amazing Stories

G.ZEEP@MIT-EECS (10/07/85)

From: Wang Zeep <G.ZEEP%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA>

Well, Amazing Stories was fun this week: we're all the way up to the 40s
in terms of the SF they're using.  Oh boy!  "Star Attraction" was predictable,
ruined by the title and the commercials, and derogatory to nurdly women.

Personally, I thought the kid was saying "Opa," instead of "Old Pa."
Opa is German "kid-talk" for "grandfather," and it warmed my heart to at least
198K to hear used what I call my grandfather.  "Old Pa?"  Pfeh!

			wz
-------

jimb@ISM780B.UUCP (10/09/85)

Ah, but this second episode of Amazing Stories deserves more comment in
passing.  Such subtle, delicately nuanced characterization, not unlike Steve
Martin playing Hamlet.  The striving for consistent moral outlook, full of
the cogent meanings and latent ambiguities but rarely found in authentic
replicas of fortune cookies.  Motivations of individuals and relationships
between these individuals events woven into a tapestry (travesty?) of cause
and effect not seen since Heisenberg first dreamed of an electron farting.
And finally, the science; even I, who am inclined to let minor points go by
for the sake of dramatic or literary license was dumber-struck at the sheer
elan with which Spielberg extended his range of scientific facts and
plausibilities to new, if not outer, limits.

Nay, my friends, let us not let this second episode of Amazing go by with
such little notice.  (And God help the magazine of the same name if they
expect *this* TV show to bail them out!)

      -- from the bewildered musings of Jim Brunet

		  decvax!cca!ima!jimb

		  ucbvax!ucla-cs!ism780!jimb

		  ihnp4!vortex!ism780!jimb

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (10/09/85)

> Well, Amazing Stories was fun this week: we're all the way up to the 40s
> in terms of the SF they're using.  Oh boy!  "Star Attraction" was predictable,
> ruined by the title and the commercials, and derogatory to nurdly women.

I give AMAZING STORIES one more week to be something other than HO-HUM STORIES
before I give up on it entirely.  (BTW, it was "The Main Attraction", not
"Star Attraction".)

On the other hand, I really like THE TWILIGHT ZONE, now the first TV show to be
"filmed on location in space" (as HARDWARE WARS would say).

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

*	       Get a Usenetter on the ballot at Confederation!               *
*	Nominate MARK R. LEEPER for Hugo for Best Fan Writer in 1986!        *