[net.micro.amiga] So which monitor do you pick?

cosell@BBN-LABS-B.ARPA (10/24/85)

From: Bernie Cosell <cosell@BBN-LABS-B.ARPA>

[this is a reposting (but this time through the ARPANET side) -- I think
my other attempt didn't make it...  my apologies if you receive this twice]

I think I'm about to go off and buy an Amiga, so after all of the
discussion about flicker and colors and this and that, I guess I've
never really seen the answer (or at least a summary comparison):

Far as I can tell, in the postings about monitors there have been three
mentioned: the 1070, the 1080 and some Sony KVxx13xxx.  Would someone
be so kind as to mail me a little summary about what the tradeoffs
are between these guys?  Much thanks!

   /Bernie

bernie cosell             bbncc5!bpc
bbn labs, inc             ARPA: cosell@bbn-labs-b

danny@convex.UUCP (11/09/85)

Better yet, how about posting this to the net for all us bewildered folks.
Also, how about being able to connect any garden variety (IBM compatible?)
640X200 monitor to the Amiga?

Dan Wallach
convex!danny

"Opinion?  Ney!  Go away!  Don't bother me!"

hr@uicsl.UUCP (11/11/85)

RE:
	"...in the postings about monitors there have been three
	mentioned: the 1070, the 1080 and some Sony KVxx13xxx.  Would someone
	be so kind as to mail me a little summary ...."

I think alot of us would like this info. What exactly IS the difference
between the 1070 and the 1080?

Our local Amiga pusher, er dealer, gave a demonstration last week
for our local computer club. Since 60 people would have a hard time
viewing one monitor, a friend and I brought in our Zenith 135s.
We connected these daisy chained to the Amiga's composite output. The
1080 was via the RGB out.

1) The 135s had about a 2HZ oscillation. The picture would move up and
	down about an inch. I thought we had sync problems, but we
	never saw the black retrace bar. When the mandril was shown,
	monitors locked up!! Any ideas why?

2) Except for the lock problems, the 135s looked better than the 1080.
	I suspect that this was because of the way the adjustments
	had been twiddled.

After the demo, I started looking at the Amiga hardware manual.
Way back, back in Appendix E, I found the pinouts for the RGB video.
Now, where can I buy a 23 pin 'D' connector?

						harold ravlin
					{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr

les@vaxwaller.UUCP (Les Dittert) (11/13/85)

> Better yet, how about posting this to the net for all us bewildered folks.
> Also, how about being able to connect any garden variety (IBM compatible?)
> 640X200 monitor to the Amiga?
>
> Dan Wallach
> convex!danny

The garden variety monitors will work , but most of the IBM monitors have
TTL RGB inputs, and this will limit the colors that can displayed to 8 , or
maybe 16.

Les Dittert , Walnut Creek CA