[net.micro.amiga] Hi res text

zaphod%wwu.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (11/07/85)

From: Brown@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA, David D <zaphod%wwu.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>

One of my friends got an Amiga this weekend, so I, being the
person that I am, had to go see it.

Ever since getting on this mailing list, I have been reading about
"Horrible Hi resolution text", and expected the worst.  But when I got
there, I was pleasantly surprised!  The (80 col) text I saw was much
better then a lot of machines' (Like Apple //e 80 cols).  However, I
didn't get to see the interlaced mode, so...

The reason for this may be the monitor he was using.  It was an Amiga
monitor, butit looked very different than the ones I've seen in Amiga World
and Byte...

				Dave Brown
				zaphod%wwu@csnet-relay.arpa

"All views contained herein are my own, and therefore should be ignored"

wen_b@h-sc1.UUCP (alvin wen) (11/08/85)

> Ever since getting on this mailing list, I have been reading about
> "Horrible Hi resolution text", and expected the worst.  But when I got
> ere, I was pleasantly surprised!
> The reason for this may be the monitor he was using.  It was an Amiga
> monitor, butit looked very different than the ones I've seen in Amiga World
> and Byte...

Alright, let's settle this once and for all--what is wrong with Amiga Hi-res
text?

I've seen both the 1070 and the 1080, and both display EXCELLENT 80x25 color
text.
I've also seen interlace mode on the 1070, and it DOES flicker enough that I
wouldn't use it, but its still 80x25, so why WOULD I want to use it?

Come on, guys, what's wrong with Amiga Hi-res text?

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (11/14/85)

> I've also seen interlace mode on the 1070, and it DOES flicker enough
> that I wouldn't use it, but its still 80x25, so why WOULD I want to use
> it?  Come on, guys, what's wrong with Amiga Hi-res text?  /* Written
> 11:25 am  Nov  8, 1985 by wen_b@h-sc1.UUCP in ccvaxa:net.micro.amiga */
----------
GOOD 80x25 text doesn't just use 640x200 resolution, it uses the extra
vertical resolution to use more detailed characters and to put more
space between them.  Compare an IBM using the graphics adapter and
one using the monochrome adapter.  If the Amiga just doubles its
lines, it would be losing the advantage of that extra vertical
resolution, exactly because it has to be interlaced and therefore
can't get around the flicker.

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana