[net.micro.amiga] help setting up printer!

manderso@sdcsvax.UUCP (Mark Anderson) (11/12/85)

I've got a problem that I hope someone out there can help with.

I just got my amiga and have been trying to set it up
with my Gemini-15 (Star Micronics) printer.
The printer is Epson "compatible" (for the most part).
I've used preference to set up the printer as Epson.
My trouble is that when I use notepad to print out a
note (as graphics) every other line is blank.

Can somebody help me in one or more of the following ways:
1) Tell me I'm a fool because your Gemini works in the
   above configuration. (give DIP switch settings)
2) Post a Patch program to fix the printer specification.
3) Describe the format of the printer specification file.

I bought the system as a plain old consumer, so I don't
have extensive documentation or a c compiler.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

				Mark Anderson
				sdcsvax!manderso (uucp)
				manderso@ucsd    (arpa)

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) (11/14/85)

In article <1194@sdcsvax.UUCP> manderso@sdcsvax.UUCP (Mark Anderson) writes:

>I just got my amiga and have been trying to set it up
>with my Gemini-15 (Star Micronics) printer....
>...My trouble is that when I use notepad to print out a
>note (as graphics) every other line is blank.

I don't know if this will help but here goes....

One of our customers reported the leaving pin 14 connected causes extra
linefeeds on (?epsons, I think).

And another:
	If you want to connect a printer to the Amiga parallel
	port (25 pin female) and have an IBM PC parallel cable
	to Centronics (36 pin) cable, make the following 25 pin
	female to female cable:

		Amiga side		IBM Cable side
		-------------		--------------
		1-13			1-13
		14-16	(cut)
		17-22			17-22
		23	(cut)
		24			24
		25	connect over to 16

	Now arrange as follows:

	  +---+
	  |   |
	  +---+
	| Amiga |> >==new cable==< <==IBM cable==[ [| Printer |

Good Luck!