table given in the last Drystone posting :

From: rer@vaximile.UUCP (R.RICHARDSON)
 *
 * MACHINE	MICROPROCESSOR	OPERATING	COMPILER	DHRYSTONES/SEC.
 * TYPE				SYSTEM				NO REG	REGS
 * --------------------------	------------	-----------	---------------
 * IBM PC/XT	8088-4.77Mhz	PCDOS 2.1	Lattice 2.15	 403	  -  @
 * PDP-11/34	-		UNIX V7M	cc		 387	 438
 * ATT PC6300	8086-8Mhz	MSDOS 2.11	b16cc 2.0	 632	 684
 * IBM PC/AT	80286-6Mhz	PCDOS 3.0	CI-C86 2.1	 666	 684
 * Macintosh	68000-7.8Mhz 2M	Mac Rom		Mac C 32 bit int 694	 704
 * Macintosh	68000-7.7Mhz	-		MegaMax C 2.0	 661	 709
 * Macintosh	68000-7.8Mhz 2M	Mac Rom		Mac C 16 bit int 877	 909 S
 * IBM PC/AT	80286-6Mhz	PCDOS 3.0	MS 3.0(small)	1063	1086
 * IBM PC/AT	80286-6Mhz	PCDOS 3.1	Lattice 2.15	1250	  -  @
 * VAX 11/785	-		UNIX 5.2	cc		2083	2083
 * VAX 8600	-		VMS		VAX-11 C 2.0	7142	7142
 * Amdahl 580	-		UTS 5.0 Rel 1.2	cc Ver. 1.5    23076   23076

Mike Gingell    ....decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (11/03/85)

hmmm i tried the same dhrystone benchmark on my amiga and got:
	~368	no register variables
	~371	register variables
		~300	while running dots, lines & boxes at same time
		~100	while running mandrille at same time
i think i was using the 3.02 Lattice compiler, operating from the CLI.
i'm hoping either 1) the Lattice compiler is very crude, or 2) somehow
i transcribed the benchmark incorrectly...

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
Phone:	(217)333-8703

nigel@minster.UUCP (nigel) (11/04/85)

In article <663@ecsvax.UUCP> mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) writes:

>How fast is the Amiga ?. In the cause of Science I tried the Dhrystone
>benchmark published recently in net.sources. Running in CLI mode only
>and compiling with the current release of the Lattice compiler (no
>Enums) I found it executed 50000 Drystone loops in 110 secs. Thats
>approximately 450 Dhrystones/sec.

Ok - so we ran it on an Atari 520ST ... 1092 Dhrystones/sec. This is,
of course, independent of graphic mode, but if you wave the mouse about
it slows down a bit.

Nigel Roles

P.S. The benchmark is wrong. malloc() should be declared as char *.

freed@aum.UUCP (Erik Freed) (11/06/85)

> >How fast is the Amiga ?. In the cause of Science I tried the Dhrystone
> >benchmark published recently in net.sources. Running in CLI mode only
> >and compiling with the current release of the Lattice compiler (no
> >Enums) I found it executed 50000 Drystone loops in 110 secs. Thats
> >approximately 450 Dhrystones/sec.
>
> Ok - so we ran it on an Atari 520ST ... 1092 Dhrystones/sec. This is,
> of course, independent of graphic mode, but if you wave the mouse about
> it slows down a bit.

Could we have a second comfirmation from another ST user this sounds
amazing! Also could we find out more details about the 1092 drystone run?
                           Erik James Freed
			   Aurora Systems
			   San Francisco, CA
			   {dual,ptsfa}!aum!freed

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (11/08/85)

> > >How fast is the Amiga ?. In the cause of Science I tried the Dhrystone
> > >benchmark published recently in net.sources. Running in CLI mode only
> > >and compiling with the current release of the Lattice compiler (no
> > >Enums) I found it executed 50000 Drystone loops in 110 secs. Thats
> > >approximately 450 Dhrystones/sec.
> >
> > Ok - so we ran it on an Atari 520ST ... 1092 Dhrystones/sec. This is,
> > of course, independent of graphic mode, but if you wave the mouse about
> > it slows down a bit.

I should point out that the original 450 on the amiga was using
the regular Lattice Compiler which uses 64 bit floating point
arithemetic I believe. If I get time I will try it using the
32 bit routines in the Rom kernel. However these comparisons
should be taken with a pinch of salt as it is compiler dependant -
for all we know the Atari number could be for 16 bit integers.

Of course, waving the mouse round on the Amiga makes no difference,
you can run the disk drive, and the sound and have sprites going
without the 68000 losing any of it's bus bandwidth.

Mike Gingell  ...decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg

nigel@minster.UUCP (nigel) (11/11/85)

In article <398@aum.UUCP> freed@aum.UUCP (Erik Freed) writes:
>Could we have a second comfirmation from another ST user this sounds
>amazing! Also could we find out more details about the 1092 drystone run?

Sorry - I should have given more details, but then again so should the
original posting! What is important is whether 16 or 32 bit arithmetic
is used, and it is not clear (i.e. I don't know) what the Lattice C
compiler uses on the Amiga. The following table benchmarks the
ISV development kit (i.e. the DR C compiler), with structure assignment,
but no enums.

		regs	noregs

16 bit		1092	1070
32 bit		710	????

The 32 bit figure was arrived at by changing all integer references to
long in the benchmark. Timing was done using the system ticker, and is
therefore accurate and repeatable. In addition, the 1092 figure drops to
the region of 850 if the cursor is displayed and continuously tracked
around the screen during the test. I'm sure other people can confirm
these numbers.

Similar tests and details of the Amiga test would be very interesting,
as even if the Amiga was using 32 bit arithmetic, 450 d/s (or as rumoured
around 300 for the Hippo compiler) does not compare well. If, as a recent
posting indicated, there would have been no coprocessor contention during
the published test, what's going on?

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (11/13/85)

> I should point out that the original 450 on the amiga was using the
> regular Lattice Compiler which uses 64 bit floating point arithemetic I
> believe. If I get time I will try it using the 32 bit routines in the
> Rom kernel. However these comparisons should be taken with a pinch of
> salt as it is compiler dependant - for all we know the Atari number
> could be for 16 bit integers.  /* Written 11:10 am  Nov  8, 1985 by
> mjg@ecsvax.UUCP in ccvaxa:net.micro.amiga */
----------
The dhrystone benchmark does not use floating point, so the floating
point in the Lattice compiler shouldn't be relevant.

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana

dale@amiga.UUCP (Dale Luck) (11/14/85)

I ran the Drystone benchmark using the two different compilers I have
available.  I can collaborate you lattice-c experience, mine came in at
around 450/sec. However running the exact same code through the greenhills
compiler that is on the sun for cross development not only produced more
compact code but also turned a figure of 850 dhrystones/sec.
These both are 32bit integer compilers.  Let's here for optimizing
compilers!!!
  Dale Luck

brownc@utah-cs.UUCP (Eric C. Brown) (11/14/85)

In article <719@ecsvax.UUCP> mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) writes:

>I should point out that the original 450 on the amiga was using
>the regular Lattice Compiler which uses 64 bit floating point
>arithemetic I believe.

But there is NO floating point in the Dhrystone Benchmark!!
It simply tests Integer arithmetic, Procedure Calls, Array Indexing,
etc.

Eric C. Brown
brownc@utah-cs
...!ihnp4!utah-cs!brownc

tim@ISM780B.UUCP (11/16/85)

/* Written  7:03 pm  Nov 13, 1985 by dale@amiga in net.micro.amig */

available.  I can collaborate you lattice-c experience, mine came in at
around 450/sec. However running the exact same code through the greenhills
compiler that is on the sun for cross development not only produced more
compact code but also turned a figure of 850 dhrystones/sec.
These both are 32bit integer compilers.  Let's here for optimizing
compilers!!!

/* End of text from ISM780B:net.micro.amig */

While the Green Hills compilers are good, I think these results say more
about the Lattic C compiler than the Green Hills compiler.