[net.micro.amiga] More on copying with icons

8239048%wwu.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (11/17/85)

From: Petersen@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA, Julie K <8239048%wwu.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>

As can be seen from recent net-mail, copying on the Amiga is
not quite as direct or as intuitive as it is on the Macintosh.
(On the Mac you can drag just about anything anywhere and it
obligingly takes care of the rest for you including rejecting
a disk if you plugged the wrong one in during disk swaps.)

Icon disk copying differs a little from icon file copying.

With disk copying (to reiterate), you 'select' the file (it
turns black) with the left button.  Then select 'Duplicate'
on the Menu bar with the right button (took a while to happen
across this), then disk swaps, as described previously, etc.

With file copies in icon mode, it's a bit trickier . . .
You must drag out the file or 'drawer' of files you wish to
transfer.  Then close the file or 'window' (this is the part
which you probably wouldn't think of doing).  Duplicate.

To update on the situation here (in Richmond, B.C.).  The
development system still hasn't shown up.  We are working on
a 1-drive system purchased privately and doing copies by
creating a duplicate in ram and then transfering.  The private
system has a loaner monitor not as good as the Amiga monitor--
still better than no Amiga, though.

I notice in most of the articles prognosticating on the fate
of Commodore and the Amiga, they dwell on the business market.
Very little is being said about the education market--I can't
think of a machine more ideally suited to this environment.
Any thoughts?  I for one, would like to see it survive.

                   Julie    8239048%wwu@csnet-relay

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) (11/20/85)

In article <462@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> 8239048%wwu.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA writes:
>From: Petersen@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA, Julie K <8239048%wwu.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
>
>As can be seen from recent net-mail, copying on the Amiga is
>not quite as direct or as intuitive as it is on the Macintosh...

>With file copies in icon mode, it's a bit trickier . . .
>You must drag out the file or 'drawer' of files you wish to
>transfer.  Then close the file or 'window' (this is the part
>which you probably wouldn't think of doing).  Duplicate.

	I do not understand why you think the above is necessary.  Could you
	explaine what happens if you do not close the drawer?

	Tht sequence I would use (on a single drive system) to copy a
	file or drawer (no difference) would be:
	  Boot Workbench
	  insert diskette containing from file
	  open diskette
	  drag icon to backdrop
	  insert "to diskette"
	  drag icon on top of that (if you wanted it in the root directory)

If you think their is a bug in the procedure you would "intuitativly" use
let us know.

Hope this helps, Bruce A. Barrett