[net.micro.amiga] AMIGA DEVELOPMENT KIT UPDATE: SORRY

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (11/06/85)

>Well, I am very dissatisfied with this response.  First I heard the kit would be
>$300, now they want $400.  First we can get a system with external drive,
>512k, and color monitor with the kit for a total of $1900, now they want us
>to go to a store and pay $2785 for the same thing.  I had managed to get
>together $1900, now they want me to come up with another $885! With this
>price and attitude, I'm not going to be getting one for a while, if at all.
>I may even start reading net.micro.atari.   Sorry, guys, but this is a bit
>much for me.
>  Any comments out there, from Lavitsky, Amiga, or anyone else?

previously, you made a good argument for commodore limiting their (initial)
support effort to developers likely to produce important software products.
following that reasoning, it would have been natural if commodore had only
selected major software houses with proven track records (fortunately, they
didn't go that far).  consider how your case would look to them... here's a
developer who has trouble with a $100 increase in the price of the software
and documentation kit, and a $1,000 increase in hardware cost.  can such a
developer be expected to make many $1000's investment in manpower, etc, for
program development, distribution, and support for a finished product?
as for the $400 price tag, i don't have any problems with that.  a good
ibm pc C compiler package by itself will cost you more.  if $400 includes
automatic updates, a hotline, the developers' bbs, etc, it's a bargain
(certainly for a developer, less certainly for the casual user).

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
Phone:	(217)333-8703

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (11/12/85)

>   Also- to the guy who complained that if you can't afford $3000 for a dev-
>elopment system, you can't afford what it takes to produce software:  It
>does not require MONEY do develop good software.  It requires time, talent,
>a good idea, and as lot of sweat.  Most of the software startups in the world
>did not come from large amounts of venture capital, they came from individuals
>with a good idea and the will to see it work.

i didn't say anything to the contrary.  i said that if commodore has to
ration their support resources (an idea i thought you first mentioned),
it would be reasonable for them to discriminate among potential developers
on the basis of the developers' economic resources; it's a lot easier than
trying to measure "time, talent, a good idea, and a lot of sweat".  note
we're not talking really big bucks here.  $3,000 is about one month's gross
pay for one good programmer.  "large amounts of venture capital" would be
at least a couple orders of magnitude more.

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (11/13/85)

>>   Also- to the guy who complained that if you can't afford $3000 for a dev-
>>elopment system, you can't afford what it takes to produce software:  It
>>does not require MONEY do develop good software.  It requires time, talent,
>>a good idea, and as lot of sweat.  Most of the software startups in the world
>>did not come from large amounts of venture capital, they came from individuals
>>with a good idea and the will to see it work.

>i didn't say anything to the contrary.  i said that if commodore has to
>ration their support resources (an idea i thought you first mentioned),
>it would be reasonable for them to discriminate among potential developers
>on the basis of the developers' economic resources; it's a lot easier than
>trying to measure "time, talent, a good idea, and a lot of sweat".  note
>we're not talking really big bucks here.  $3,000 is about one month's gross
>pay for one good programmer.  "large amounts of venture capital" would be
>at least a couple orders of magnitude more.

Yes, but if they're willing to give ANYBODY a development kit but only a
few a DEAL on the equipment, who needs it more- a company who will base
their entire livelihood on the Amiga and needs money to pay salaries, or
a company with plenty of money to spend on salaries and equipment?
    '`'`
    Ken
    `'`'`

tim@ISM780B.UUCP (11/14/85)

> Also to the guy who complained that if you can't afford $3000
> for a development system, you can't afford what it takes to
> produce software: It does not require MONEY do develop good
> software.

But if you can't afford $3000 for a development system, then you can't
afford what it takes to *MARKET* the software ( Call up Amiga World and
find out how much an advertisement costs ).

					Tim Smith
					ihnp4!cithep!tim
					ima!ism780b!tim

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (11/20/85)

In article <39700003@ISM780B.UUCP>, tim@ISM780B.UUCP writes:
> afford what it takes to *MARKET* the software ( Call up Amiga World and
> find out how much an advertisement costs ).

Say, can someone post AMIGA World's advertising rates? I'd be interested
in some ``back o'the mag'' dealie that would not cost a bundle. I am sure
that this information would be of general interest.

(of course, I should call them myself and post the results but I have no
idea even what state they are based in so calling information won't help).

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (11/22/85)

> Point taken, but a development organization is not necessarily a marketing
> organization, nor does it need to be.  One can always (with a sufficiently
> developed product) get a company with marketing experience and clout
> (financially speaking, of course) to pick up your product as part of their
> line.  Quit a few small software developers/companies work this way.

Yeh! Anybody remember Leor Zolman? Where would BDS-C be if DRI refused to
sell the CP/M assembler to anyone but an "established developer"? At the
very least the assembler should have been bundled with the machine, along
with enough docs to use it. $450 is probably close to the best deal they could
cut for Lattice 'C', but an assembler is an entirely different kettle of
fiche. You listening, AMIGA?
--
Name: Peter da Silva
Graphic: `-_-'

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) (11/24/85)

In article <456@graffiti.UUCP> peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> Point taken, but a development organization is not necessarily a marketing
>> organization, nor does it need to be.  One can always (with a sufficiently
>> developed product) get a company with marketing experience and clout
>> (financially speaking, of course) to pick up your product as part of their
>> line.  Quit a few small software developers/companies work this way.

	Yes, a very reasonable way to work if you have a good idea
but little/no manufacturing and marketing experience.

>Yeh! Anybody remember Leor Zolman? Where would BDS-C be if DRI refused to
>sell the CP/M assembler to anyone but an "established developer"? At the
>very least the assembler should have been bundled with the machine, along
>with enough docs to use it. $450 is probably close to the best deal they
>could cut for Lattice 'C', but an assembler is an entirely different
>kettle of fiche. You listening, AMIGA?

The $450 includes:
	Lattice C compiler + libraries and ~80 include files
	Overlay - Linker
	Assembler + libraries and ~80 include files
	3 DOS manuals
	Hardware manual
	ROM Kernel manual
	Intuition Manual
	  (that's a total of 7-3/4 pounds of manuals!)

The Assembler is available seperatly for $100.  You may also want all
the manuals for another $100.

Previous mail indicated the address in West Chester to send for.  Send
me mail if you need it.

--Bruce

richr@iddic.UUCP (Rich Rodgers) (11/26/85)

In article <284@well.UUCP> perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:

>Say, can someone post AMIGA World's advertising rates? I'd be interested
>in some ``back o'the mag'' dealie that would not cost a bundle. I am sure
>that this information would be of general interest.

RATES

	1x	3x	6x	9x	12x	...
Full	2700	2595	2540	2485	2405
2/3	2240	2150	2110	2060	1995
1/2	1780	1710	1675	1640	1585
1/3	1350	1295	1270	1245	1200
1/4	1025	985	965	945	915
1/6	810	780	760	720	690

There you have it, good or bad!

P.S.  This was posted by my terminal program as one of my
program modules was compiling, then linking in the background.
Isn't multitasking GREAT!  Thanks AMIGA.
--
				Rich Rodgers

				tektronix!iddic!richr

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (11/26/85)

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (11/27/85)

> The Assembler is available seperatly for $100.  You may also want all
> the manuals for another $100.

Yeh, but the assembler should have been included with the machine as
well as, or even better instead of, AbasiC. So much of the available CP/M
software became available only because CP/M came with an assembler, and
thus most people could do at least *some* development work.