[net.micro.amiga] Monitor stuff

LAVITSKY@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (11/10/85)

From: Eric <LAVITSKY@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>

Hi,

 I had a chance to see a 1080 again the other night. While the
colors were sharp, and you could plug composite out into it - it
still seemed to flicker a great deal in interlaced mode (it may have
been exagerrated by the flourescent lights). I like my 1070, but I
am getting tempted by the Sony KV1311. I have some questions:

	1) What is the dot pitch on the KV1311?
	2) Will I be able to take the TV out, run it through the
	Amiga gen-lock, and display it with my Amiga's output? (all
	on the KV1311) - or is the TV stuff completely unavailable
	when the "monitor" is being used?
	3) What pins to I need to hook up on the cable?
	4) Where can I get a DB23 and what is that connector on the
	Sony called?

Thanx,
Eric
-------

garyo@masscomp.UUCP (Gary Oberbrunner) (11/12/85)

>	4) Where can I get a DB23 and what is that connector on the
>	Sony called?

I'm using an old Aydin Controls rgb monitor on my Amiga, and I had a similar
problem when I tried to hook it up.  There are NO DB23 connnectors on the
market.  According to the guy at You-Do-It Electronics, Commodore may pull the
stunt that IBM used when they introduced their monitor, which was to get an
exclusive license from AMP (#1 big connector company) so that only IBM could
buy those connectors, and thus you could only get 'em from Big Blue.

Hopefully Commodore won't do this.

But in the meantime, how do you get into that connector on the back of the
Amiga?  I did it by taking a standard female DB-25 and hacksawing off the
end.  Then I connected the 3 video lines plus sync to that, and put BNC's
on the other end.  This works fine.  One hint is not to hacksaw the ENTIRE
connector through, just the part that goes into the connector on the Amiga.
This will make the connection much more stable.  I now think that if I'd
mounted the 'DB23' that I made to a wirewrap board and wired it to 4 BNC's
(on the same WW board) and then just used standard BNC cables from there
to the monitor it would have been a little more robust physically.

Oh - don't forget that when you hack off the end of the DB25, the pin numbering
changes on the bottom (hi-numbered) half.  I forgot this and grounded the
Video Clock Out from the Amiga.  The monitor blitzed out, but no damage was
done.  I fixed the connector and I was back in business.  Good job Amiga!

	Gary Oberbrunner	...{harvard,ihnp4}!masscomp!garyo

"You have to run as fast as you can to stay in the same place here -
 you have to run at least TWICE that fast to get anywhere."
	(Apologies to Lewis Carroll)

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (11/13/85)

> From: Eric <LAVITSKY@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
>

> 	1) What is the dot pitch on the KV1311?
> -------

The Sony does not use RGB dot triads it uses RGB vertical stripes
and I think they quote the resolution as 0.37mm compared to the
0.31 of the Amiga 1070 and the 0.39mm of the 1080.

Mike Gingell     ...decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) (11/14/85)

	I managed to connect my Sony KV-1311CR by using a DB-15 carefully
plugged in to the AMiga so that the correct pins matched. It works and it
is ugly.

	My dealer has ordered some cables for that monitor from a place
called Cables-To-Go. I don't know where they're located, but they told me
on the 'phone that the DB-23s have been ordered from Japan. Until they
arrive, they are using hacked DB-25s (hacked very professionally, of
course). I have a Cables-To-Go cable from my Amiga to my Star Gemini-10X
printer, and it's a very nice cable. I think my dealer charges about $29
for them.

				Jere M. Marrs
				Tektronix, Inc.
				tektronix!tekcrl!tekgvs!jerem

neil@amiga.UUCP (Neil Katin) (11/14/85)

In article <830@masscomp.UUCP> garyo@masscomp.UUCP (Gary Oberbrunner) writes:

>I'm using an old Aydin Controls rgb monitor on my Amiga, and I had a similar
>problem when I tried to hook it up.  There are NO DB23 connnectors on the
>market.  According to the guy at You-Do-It Electronics, Commodore may pull the
>stunt that IBM used when they introduced their monitor, which was to get an
>exclusive license from AMP (#1 big connector company) so that only IBM could
>buy those connectors, and thus you could only get 'em from Big Blue.
>
>Hopefully Commodore won't do this.

Gary goes on and says he did a field upgrade with a hacksaw to make db23's
out of db25's.

The amiga uses four D connectors on the back of the machine:  2 db25's,
and 2 db23's (one each male and female).  We did this on purpose --
at one point it was all db25's.

The machine is intended for consumers.  We wanted to minimize the number
of ways you could connect the machine incorrectly.  Most consumers
NEVER make connectors -- they buy them from the dealer.  Even on the
C-64 (which only has two connections, one of which was the power cord)
there was a significant problem with users plugging in the machine
correctly.  YOU CAN'T MAKE IT TOO EASY TO SET UP A MACHINE.

Now for the hackers out there:  Yes, db23's are hard to get.  We have
no exclusive contract for them.  We hope that they will be available
in your local Radio Shack (ask for them and they might stock them).

The connectors are distributed in the US by TRW-Cinch.  I don't have
a part number, but give them a call to find a local distributor.

When we were making prototypes we also used a saw to change db25's to
db23's.  I found that a small power jig saw worked the best.

A final note from Gary's original message:

>Oh - don't forget that when you hack off the end of the DB25, the pin numbering
>changes on the bottom (hi-numbered) half.  I forgot this and grounded the
>Video Clock Out from the Amiga.  The monitor blitzed out, but no damage was
>done.  I fixed the connector and I was back in business.  Good job Amiga!

    Neil Katin
    Commodore-Amiga Inc.

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) (11/27/85)

	This is a note to Leonard Li on ARPANET who sent me a message
about the SONY KV-1311CR as an AMiga monitor. ARPANET will not accept
my "repl", or rather, my machine will not accept the ARPA header.

	When I cabled the SONY KV-1311CR to my amiga, I had to use a
"modified" (i.e. hacksawed) DB-15 connector to plug in the DB-23 plug.
I referred to it as "ugly" and I meant that the cable was ugly. The monitor
is beautiful and I can recommend it for those monitorless amigas that the
stores have.

	By the way, I understand that TRW/Cinch makes a DB-23. That must
be the ol' Cinch-Jones having been bought-up by TRW.

				Jere M. Marrs
				Tektronix, Inc.
				Beaverton, Oregon