[net.micro.amiga] Demo Wars!!!! Bouncing Ball.....

nigel@minster.UUCP (nigel) (11/29/85)

In article <1543@decwrl.UUCP> boiko@cgvax2.DEC (Michael Boiko DDD/N26 264-9427) writes:

>	Below you will find Commodore's response to the bouncing ball demo
>on the ST, which copies the same demo, first done on an Amiga...
>You know, of course.....This Means War!
>
>The famous Amiga Bouncing Ball demo was written a little under 2 years
>ago.  It was written in C code in the span of about 1 week.  That time
>included producing and refining the "crash" sound effects that come
>out *>IN STEREO<* while the ball is bouncing (eat your hearts out
>Atari)!

etc etc etc etc (yawn)

Why is it that Amigaphiles make a big deal of electronic trickery,
when all it can do is pretty pictures, and generate "crash" and "woosh"
noises? Maybe they see it only as a games machine. Juggling bit planes
is no use when you want to display text, or actually do computation
quickly (I refer of course to the recent dhrystone benchmarks).

I accept that architecture of an Amiga allows it to draw a better
bouncing ball, so when I want to draw bouncing balls I'll buy an Amiga.

Nigel