[net.micro.amiga] CLI Summary

CC004049%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA (11/27/85)

From: George S. Musser Jr.

I've hacked out the meaning of most of the CLI commands.  If anyone
has any corrections, drop Info-Amiga or me a line.  I'll post a
revised version if necessary.

If you type <command> ?, CLI will tell you the syntax of that command.
I omit the command syntax here; generally, it's obvious from the meaning
of the command.

                        Summary Of CLI Commands

RUN             Execute program and offer a new CLI prompt.
                (If you execute a program by typing its name, CLI
                will wait for the program to end before prompting.)
BREAK n ...     Executes appropriate control code in task n.
                Defaults to |C.
                Say task 2 is ABasiC.  BREAK 2 would execute a |C in
                ABasiC, halting any BASIC program.
ASSIGN          Define location of system 'volumes', such as C:, S:,
                DEVS:, LIBS:, FONTS:, and SYSTEM:.
                These default to the appropriate directory on the disk
                with which you booted up.
                This is my favorite CLI command.  With ASSIGN, you can
                boot up using one disk, and then start using another disk
                instead of getting that annoying 'Insert WorkBench disk'
                message.
                For example, I copy the CLI commands to RAM:, then
                ASSIGN C: RAM:.  From now on, Intuition will look to
                RAM: to find system commands, instead of asking me to
                insert the disk with which I booted up.
CD              Change directory.  A la UNIX.
DATE            Set system time/date.  Unlike MSDOS, the syntax is quite
                strict:  You MUST type the 24-hour time, then the date in
                26-Nov-85 format.
                (Why didn't CBM-Amiga include a hardware clock?
                Setting DATE on boot-up is a real annoyance.)
DIR             Lists filenames in alphabetical order and in two columns.
ECHO "string"   Print string on console.
EDIT            Line editor.  I prefer ED.
ENDCLI          Close current CLI window.
EXECUTE         Run executable file.  An exec file is a list of CLI
                commands, waiting to be used.
FAULT n         Display error message corresponding to error code n.
FORMAT          Disk format and verify.
INFO            Check information on mounted disks.
JOIN x y as z   Combine files x and y into z.
LIST            List files, file sizes, date and time of last mod, etc.
MAKEDIR         Create directory.
PROMPT          Redefine CLI prompt to a desired string.
QUIT            Exit EXEC file.
RENAME          Rename file.  Will also take a file into a new directory.
SEARCH          Scans ASCII file for specified text.
SORT            Sort text file alphanumerically.
WAIT            Pause for x seconds, y minutes, or until a given time.
COPY            Copy a file or a directory.
                To copy all the files in a directory, use COPY C/ TO D ALL.
                Single-drive users, beware!  COPY seems to have almost
                no memory buffering, so COPYing a 2K file may take a dozen
                swaps -- or, worse, an infinite number of swaps.  (I'm
                serious.  After 25 swaps for a 2K file, I decided something
                was wrong.  After rebooting, I found that the file had
                COPYed correctly; apparently, COPY doesn't know when it's
                done.)
DELETE          Annihilate file(s).  Here's another of my favorite things:
                you can delete up to nine files on a single DELETE line.
DISKCOPY        Copy a disk, track by track.
ED              Full-screen editor.  I'll post ED commands later.
INSTALL         Put the system onto a disk.  Equivalent to MSDOS's SYS.
LAB <label>     Label for SKIP command in EXEC files.
LOADWB          Invoke WorkBench.  The WorkBench backdrop will appear behind
                the CLI window from which LOADWB was typed.
NEWCLI          Open a NEWCLI window.
PROTECT         Protect or unprotect a file from deletion.
RELABEL         Define synonym for a mounted disk, i.e. rename a disk
                temporarily.
                I like to RELABEL my Graphics Demonstrations disk as G.
IF..ELSE..ENDIF Conditional execution of a group of lines.  Be sure to put
                the keywords IF, etc. on lines by themselves.  ELSE is
                optional.  Currently, IF supports not, warn, fail, eq, exists.
                (I sure wish I could prompt the user and let IF check the
                response.)
FAILAT          Instruct program to end if the error code equals or exceeds
                the parameter.
FILENOTE        Add comment to INFO file.  Note that you can't do this
                from WorkBench, until Amiga fixes the bug.
SKIP label      Goto <label>, as defined by LAB.  You can only SKIP ahead.
STACK           Set stack size.  Defaults to 4K-bytes.  You need 8K for ABasiC.
TYPE            Dump file contents to the console.  You can use TYPE on
                non-text files, but it usually sets the font to
                gibberish, so you have to ENDCLI and get a new CLI.
WHY             Ask Amiga why the last program bombed.  It generally
                won't know, though.
FRAGS           List how memory is allocated.  This has something to do
                with the fact that Amiga allocates memory dynamically.
AVAIL           How much memory do we have?  This command is better than
                the so-called memory meter in WorkBench, because it
                also tells you the largest contiguous block of memory.
                You could have 1M-byte (sigh) of available memory, but
                if it's in 2K chunks, you're sunk.  (I've loaded programs
                into RAM: and deleted programs from RAM:.  The memory
                meter said 250K, but I still couldn't run Robo 'cause
                the 250K was really two 125K blocks.)
STRIPA          Hmm.  Maybe it strips off the high bit.
DOWNLOAD        Sounds like it'll download programs from a mainframe,
                but I don't have a modem yet so I can't check.

robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) (11/29/85)

>CC004049%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA (CC004049%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA, <578@caip.RUTGERS.EDU>):
> From: George S. Musser Jr.
>
> TYPE            Dump file contents to the console.  You can use TYPE on
>                 non-text files, but it usually sets the font to
>                 gibberish, so you have to ENDCLI and get a new CLI.

I've found it to be much easier to just type "esc c" (escape followed by a
lowercase c).  I discovered early on that the console driver on the amiga
was based on ANSI's X3.64 and an escape c is essentially a reset-all in
X3.64.

By the way, an article was recently posted giving all the escape codes that
the printer driver understood.  Could someone in the know also post the same,
but for the console driver?  I've figured out most of it (X3.64 references
can be handy), but I don't know if I've missed anything or not.

			robert
--
Robert Viduya							01111000
Office of Computing Services

UUCP:	..gatech!gitpyr!robert
	..gatech!gt-oscar!robert
	..gatech!gt-felix!robert
BITNET:	CC100RV @ GITVM1

In article <578@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> CC004049%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA writes:
>DATE            Set system time/date.  Unlike MSDOS, the syntax is quite
>                strict:  You MUST type the 24-hour time, then the date in
>                26-Nov-85 format.
>                (Why didn't CBM-Amiga include a hardware clock?
>                Setting DATE on boot-up is a real annoyance.)

I discovered a couple of 'cute' things about the date command, you can
specify the date as 'today' if you only want to change the time, it also
understands 'tomorrow', 'yesterday', and all the days of the week.  Days
of the week will set the date to the date for the NEXT day forward of that
name from when the date was before the date change command.  I too, prefer
a battery backed up clock, but if AT LEAST the date command would update
the date somewhere on disk so the next time you boot you have the date
as of the last time you set it would make these features more useful.
I'd then be able to use the 'date today hh:mm' or 'date tomorrow hh:mm'
more often, as now the date gets further away every day because only the
preferences utility will update the saved date on disk.  (unless someone
out there knows of a parameter you can pass 'date' to have it update it's
last saved date somehow.)

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

biggers@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Mark Biggers) (12/03/85)

In article <974@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:

>I discovered a couple of 'cute' things about the date command, you can
>name from when the date was before the date change command.  I too, prefer
>a battery backed up clock, but if AT LEAST the date command would update
>the date somewhere on disk so the next time you boot you have the date
>as of the last time you set it would make these features more useful.
>I'd then be able to use the 'date today hh:mm' or 'date tomorrow hh:mm'
>preferences utility will update the saved date on disk.  (unless someone
>out there knows of a parameter you can pass 'date' to have it update it's
>last saved date somehow.)
>
>Keith Doyle
>#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
>#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

Yep, one of the earliest things I discovered about Preferences was that
it always wrote a file called 'now' in the root directory when the date
was updated.  So, before you shut down the Amiga, go to df0: root and
type:

date >now

That should update the 'last' date saved for the system.

mark

Mark Biggers
New Brunswick, NJ
(201) 249-7939

uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!biggers

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) (12/04/85)

In article <974@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>>                (Why didn't CBM-Amiga include a hardware clock?
>
>                                                             I too, prefer
>a battery backed up clock, but...
>
>Keith Doyle

	There is a real-time clock for the Amiga that has been announced
by a company in Texas called "Akron Systems Development" which is
battery-backed. It is called "A-Time." It is a calendar also that
remembers leap years and such. The price is $39.95 plus shpg. For in-
formation, contact:

	Harry Evangelou
	Akron Systems Development
	Box 6408
	Beaumont, TX 77705
	(409)833-2686

	I found this on CompuServe and know nothing more than is
given here. I'm not connected to this company in any way. They are
aparently shipping now.

				Jere M. Marrs
				Tektronix, Inc.
				Beaverton, Oregon