[net.micro.amiga] Mandelbrot Set Generator

french@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (12/04/85)

From: "french robert%d.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA

I have written a version of the Mandelbrot Set Generator as featured in
the August '85 Scientific American for the Amiga.  It supports 320x200,
320x400, 640x200, and 640x400 graphics modes, as well as both hold-and-
modify and normal color modes (H.A.M. looks unbelievable!  As good, if
not better than, the pictures in the magazine).  Pictures can be saved,
loaded, sized, zoomed, analyzed, andd displayed using different color
patterns.  Unfortunately, because of the amount of memory required for
the graphics memory and point storage, I had to implement a rudimentary
virtual memory system that could use up to 500K of scratch space on the
disk (after all, there are 256,000 points in a 640x400 display!).  A full
320x200 picture takes around 45 minutes to draw (yes, I am using the FFP
math library).
   As soon as I put some finishing touches on, I plan to upload it to the
net.  I would like to see if there is any interest in it first, though,
because the source is well over 1,000 lines long.

                 Your fractal and mine,
                      Robert French
                      French#Robert%d@LLL-MFE.ARPA

dts@gitpyr.UUCP (Danny Sharpe) (12/04/85)

In article <623@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> french@caip.RUTGERS.EDU writes:
>From: "french robert%d.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
>
>I have written a version of the Mandelbrot Set Generator as featured in
>the August '85 Scientific American for the Amiga.  It supports 320x200,
>   As soon as I put some finishing touches on, I plan to upload it to the
>net.  I would like to see if there is any interest in it first, though,
>because the source is well over 1,000 lines long.
>
>                 Your fractal and mine,
>                      Robert French
>                      French#Robert%d@LLL-MFE.ARPA

I am interested.

--
-- CAUTION: WET FLOOR    <== Is this a warning or a command? --

Danny Sharpe
School of ICS
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!dts

kim@mips.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (12/05/85)

> I have written a version of the Mandelbrot Set Generator as featured in
> net.  I would like to see if there is any interest in it first, though,
> because the source is well over 1,000 lines long.

Sorry to have to do a reply via the net, but anytime anything I mail
goes near RUTGERS, it bounces;  perhaps this will get thru.  At any rate ...

Robert, you must be joking!  Is there any interest?  Yes.  YES.  YES!!!!
Please do post it (I assume we're talking sources, as there is a strong
bias on this net against binaries, myself included).

Thanx very much n advance,
/kim
--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim
DDD:   415-960-1200

jdg@husky.uucp (Jeff Gortatowsky) (12/06/85)

Please DO post the source to the net!!! I and many others would love
to enjoy the program. And thanks for your effort!

PS. Best to post it right here in net.micro.amiga .......

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!husky!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company  {eagle,astrovax,netword!}sun!sunrise!husky!jdg

These comments are mine alone and not Eastman Kodak's or anyone else's
at/in this relative space and time.

farmer@ICO.UUCP (12/06/85)

Please do!!!

papa@uscvax.UUCP (Marco Papa) (12/07/85)

> From: "french robert%d.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
>
> I have written a version of the Mandelbrot Set Generator as featured in
> the August '85 Scientific American for the Amiga.

>    As soon as I put some finishing touches on, I plan to upload it to the
> net.  I would like to see if there is any interest in it first, though,
> because the source is well over 1,000 lines long.
>
>                  Your fractal and mine,
>                       Robert French
>                       French#Robert%d@LLL-MFE.ARPA

Please upload it.  Everybody likes pretty pictures.

-- Marco Papa

USC - Computer Science Dept.

UUCP:	...!{decvax,ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!sdcrdcf!uscvax!papa
	...!{allegra,trwrb,trwspp,ism780,cithep,oberon}!uscvax!papa
CSNET:	papa@usc-cse.csnet
ARPA:	papa%usc-cse@csnet-relay.arpa

lbg@gitpyr.UUCP (Lee B Grey) (12/09/85)

In article <252@mips.UUCP>, kim@mips.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
> > I have written a version of the Mandelbrot Set Generator as featured in
>
> Sorry to have to do a reply via the net, but anytime anything I mail
> goes near RUTGERS, it bounces;  perhaps this will get thru.  At any rate ...
>
> Robert, you must be joking!  Is there any interest?  Yes.  YES.  YES!!!!

What she said.

Can't get mail to you.  Want source posted.  Keeping this short.  Bye.  Lee