[net.micro.amiga] C and Assembler for non-developers

strovink@afit-ab.ARPA (12/07/85)

From: strovink@afit-ab.ARPA (Mark Strovink)

Hey I'm sorry guys, but those of us who aren't developers
can not get Lattice "C" or the 68000 Assembler from Commodore.
I just called Commodore and the only part of the developers package
available to non-developers are the technical manuals ($99.95).

Commodore, I am crushed!  All this waiting and collecting C source for nothing!

WHY?         I'd send you the check NOW if you'd only take it!  (ouch, $450!)

Well, all you developers out there, thanks for the fascinating glimpses at
what might-have-been.  Keep up the torture,

MARK
----------- STROVINK@AFIT-AB.ARPA ---------------
(513)237-8485,  Dayton, Ohio.

grr@unirot.UUCP (George Robbins) (12/08/85)

In article <643@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> strovink@afit-ab.ARPA writes:
>From: strovink@afit-ab.ARPA (Mark Strovink)
>Hey I'm sorry guys, but those of us who aren't developers
>can not get Lattice "C" or the 68000 Assembler from Commodore.
>I just called Commodore and the only part of the developers package
>available to non-developers are the technical manuals ($99.95).
>Well, all you developers out there, thanks for the fascinating glimpses at
>what might-have-been.  Keep up the torture,

Hey, the developers kit is not a bad deal for the price.  If you look at the
prices for Lattice C and MASM for the IBM PC, they list for $500 and $150 each,
PC documentation isn't cheap either.  You can get these things at a discount,
would still be more than $400.

I like cheap software too, but let's be reasonable.  Bob Pariseau (amiga!bobp)
recently posted the official policy regarding developers kits.  It stated that
the 'developers package' is available as a unit to any buyer directly from
Commodore, and that individual components would be available only thru dealers.

If you want to do serious Amiga things with the Amiga, at least the information
is available.  Compare this to other vendors who tried their best to keep the
internals of their software and hardware a deep trade secret.

Anybody want a slightly used TI99/4A (8-)?
--
George Robbins			uucp:	{unirot|tapa}!grr
P.O. Box 177

lbg@gitpyr.UUCP (Lee B Grey) (12/09/85)

In article <229@unirot.UUCP>, grr@unirot.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> In article <643@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> strovink@afit-ab.ARPA writes:
> >From: strovink@afit-ab.ARPA (Mark Strovink)
> >Hey I'm sorry guys, but those of us who aren't developers
> >can not get Lattice "C" or the 68000 Assembler from Commodore.
> >I just called Commodore and the only part of the developers package
> >available to non-developers are the technical manuals ($99.95).
> Hey, the developers kit is not a bad deal for the price.
> If you want to do serious Amiga things with the Amiga, at least the information
> is available.  Compare this to other vendors who tried their best to keep the
> internals of their software and hardware a deep trade secret.

George, you didn't hear what he said.  He wants to send the money.
They won't take it.

Commodore, it can only help you to let EVERYONE know how to write
great software for your machine.  I'm glad to be a developer, but
I don't think it should be such an elite group of people.  A lot
of great software comes from individuals in their spare time.  What
good does it do Commodore to make it difficult for them?

Lee

P.S.  I hope I don't get black-balled for this!  :-D

randy@bcsaic.UUCP (randy groves) (12/11/85)

In article <643@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> strovink@afit-ab.ARPA writes:
>From: strovink@afit-ab.ARPA (Mark Strovink)
>
>Hey I'm sorry guys, but those of us who aren't developers
>can not get Lattice "C" or the 68000 Assembler from Commodore.
>I just called Commodore and the only part of the developers package
>available to non-developers are the technical manuals ($99.95).

WHAT?????

Is someone pulling the wool over bobp's eye's?  He's the one that told us!!!

... only a hollygram, but one more is gone.
randy groves
...!uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!randy