[net.micro.amiga] ROM? bite your tongue!

jcm@ORNL-MSR.ARPA (12/08/85)

From: jcm@ORNL-MSR.ARPA (James A. Mullens)

I think it would be a big mistake to ROM system code.  The code would be, in
effect, a dinosaur encased in artic ice -- an historical curiosity.  Who's
willing to say that the hardware will not outlive the software?  Let's hope
the hardware is around to see many software improvements!

Besides, if you put stuff in ROM it is less of a serious, open machine and
more of a super arcade game...

jim mullens / oak ridge national lab

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (12/11/85)

>I think it would be a big mistake to ROM system code.  The code would be, in
>effect, a dinosaur encased in artic ice -- an historical curiosity.  Who's
>willing to say that the hardware will not outlive the software?  Let's hope
>the hardware is around to see many software improvements!
>
>Besides, if you put stuff in ROM it is less of a serious, open machine and
>more of a super arcade game...

that reminds me... is anyone working on a battery backup hack for WCS?

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
Phone:	(217)333-8703