[net.micro.amiga] Tough questions

spencer@oberon.UUCP (Randy Spencer) (12/13/85)

I don't suppose that there is anyone out there who has ever gotten out
of the Mandril demo... or is it the reverse, am I the only one that has
never been able to exit it.  I have a window with a close gadget assigned
to the display and I can move it front and back but I have found no way
to exit and now way to pull the demo down and I find myself rebooting
every time I run it.  Anyone had this problem?

Also, I just came from the dealer who just got in the 5 1/4" drives and
I am curious if there is anyone out there in netland that is working
on a meathod of accessing the larger drive from AmigaDos, for I would
love to have the ability to port stuff from the Amiga side of the computer
to the IBM side of the computer.  It is not like I can hook up a serial
cable and run Kermit between the two.  I have many friends that have PCs
and to be able to send them stuff just by editing it on my Amiga word-
processor would be wonderful.  I could send them programs that they could
run on their computers too.

On that last point, I am curious...
I have been reading for several weeks about people that want the only
post sources to the net for this will allow the programmers of the lot
to modify them and develop really spectacular unilities, while the other
half wants to be able to run the program and not have to get every possible
compiler on the market to be able to compile *all* the possible sources
that come in.  Will, it would seem to me that you could (or I could) write
a really short utility that creates a basic program from the compiled code.
This could be sent easily over the net and the source could be sent also
or in a seperate file.  Basic could be commented and would still run, or
the basic program could do all the writing and saving of the file(s).
The point is that every one has basic, right? (On the Amiga anyway) and
this would save the problem of reading through all the binaries and having
to worry about what version of binhex you are running, and the original
encoding program could be easily distributed.  This all comes from the
malabrot demo recently posted where the machine code was placed in basic
extensively commented and very easy to run.  I hope that this gives some-
one a better idea of how we should do it...

Randal Spencer      Student DEC Consulting - University of Southern California
Home: 937 N. Beverly Glen Bl. Bel Air California 90077          (213) 470-0428
Arpa: Spencer@USC-ECL  or  Spencer@Oberon              Bitnet: Spencer@USCVAXQ

atoy@watnot.UUCP (Andy Toy) (12/14/85)

In article <166@oberon.UUCP> spencer@oberon.UUCP (Randy Spencer) writes:
>I don't suppose that there is anyone out there who has ever gotten out
>of the Mandril demo... or is it the reverse, am I the only one that has
>never been able to exit it.

There is a close gadget on the display, but you can't see it.  It's only
about one or a couple of pixels in the uppper left corner of the screen.

>I have been reading for several weeks about people that want the only
>post sources to the net for this will allow the programmers of the lot
>to modify them and develop really spectacular unilities, while the other
>half wants to be able to run the program and not have to get every possible
>compiler on the market to be able to compile *all* the possible sources
>that come in.

Yes for SOURCES.  Keep it that way.  Have you ever tried understanding or
modifying object code?  Although I feel that there should be some way for
those compiler-less Amiga users out there to get the nifty programs
developed by those with compilers.  What's the solution?

>Will, it would seem to me that you could (or I could) write
>a really short utility that creates a basic program from the compiled code.
>...etc.

You will still not have the source to fiddle around with.  All you end up
with is an AbasiC loader for the machine code.  Besides, if you did send
the binary, what's wrong with using something standard like uuencode/decode?

Andy Toy                               UUCP: ...!watmath!watnot!atoy
University of Waterloo               BITNET: atoy@watdcsu.NetNorth
Mapping, Analysis and Design Group
Waterloo, Ontario
CANADA

wcjanzen@watnot.UUCP (Craig Janzen) (12/15/85)

In article <11376@watnot.UUCP> atoy@watnot.UUCP (Andy Toy) writes:
>In article <166@oberon.UUCP> spencer@oberon.UUCP (Randy Spencer) writes:
>>Will, it would seem to me that you could (or I could) write
>>a really short utility that creates a basic program from the compiled code.
>>...etc.
>
>You will still not have the source to fiddle around with.  All you end up
>with is an AbasiC loader for the machine code.  Besides, if you did send
>the binary, what's wrong with using something standard like uuencode/decode?

But, the Mandelbrot program that was posted has assembler code in the AbasiC
loader and it is commented.  I see that as a good way to post Assembler
source (now if they could only do that with C source).  I hope that there's
going to be a way for us Amiga users to get programs even though we don't
have C or the 68000 Assembler.  How about forming local user groups where
the group would have all the compilers and its members all chip in to buy
them?  Any better ideas, anyone?

Craig Janzen
Faculty of Mathematics
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) (12/16/85)

To "close" the Mandril demo (Workbench Demos V1.0) press above the close
gadget:
	 X <----- here
        [.] MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM[_][_]
	|			|
	|			|
This is a bug.  The pointer appears higher in the screen than the
active spot.  BruceB