[net.music] A new category of lyrics

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (10/26/84)

*** YOUR MESSAGE ***

While we're analyzing lyrics, I'd like to try to open up a new field: the
Most Unintelligible Lyrics in a song.  Now, there are a few simple examples,
such as the recent "Carribean Queen", which sounds exactly like "Caribou
Queen," or ELO's "Evil Woman," which I still insist is actually "Medieval
Woman."  Did you know that Boy George's song "It's A Miracle" was actually
written as "It's America"?  If you listen to it, you can hardly tell which
he is saying, but the two verses of the song are about his initial impressions
of New York and LA, in that order.

The problem with this cataegory is that we've got a "Nadia Comenici" (sp?)
(okay, a Greg Louganis if you're being more up to date) in the group.  Now,
tell the truth: did you understand more than 20% of the lyrics to "Chuck E's
In Love" before you read them?  As a matter of fact, have you ever been able
to understand a thing that Ricki Lee Jones sings?  Can anyone else give a
word like "and" 3 syllables like she can?

Any other nominees out there for Most Unintelligible Lyrics?

					-- Mark A.
					...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

   "Computers are like preppies: they just boil around in their own way
	and you have to do things their way or they blow you off."

	"Everything that was different was a different thing..."

rkp@drutx.UUCP (10/26/84)

Remember the Rick Springfield song "Jessie's Girl"?

There is the line:

    "I wish that I had Jessie's Girl".......

For the longest time, I thought it was:

    "I wish that I was Jessie's Girl".......

This seemed pretty weird since it was a guy singing the song.  I
just figured he had spent too much time in soap operas......

dvw@hopd3.UUCP (D. V. Wilkerson) (10/26/84)

Well, "Carribean Queen" began as "European Queen".  And if you have ever
heard the original "It's America" (see Culture Club's video concert on MTV
or Nickelodeon), the lyrics make much more sense.

Now, can anyone explain the Pretender's "Brass In Pocket"?

Diane Wilkerson
..!hopd3!dvw

bruns@wivax.UUCP (Glenn Bruns) (10/31/84)

My vote for singer of most unintelligible lyrics goes to Elvis Costello.  Don't
get the wrong idea; he's one of my favorites, but until he recently started
including the printed lyrics in his albums, I had a tough time.  Particularly
disturbing since he writes great lyrics.

For example, on his classic first album there's a song titled "Less than zero",
in which Elvis sings something like "Hey, Hoo-ray".  If anyone out there
can figure out what I'm talking about, and has a guess about what he's saying,
I'd be interested.  Or even if you just have some other good Elvis mis-quotes...

By the way, for those of you who think that the other guy is the real Elvis,
ask yourself, would anybody with class make a movie called "Kissin' Cousins"?

- Glenn Bruns

tucson@ihuxj.UUCP (B. A. Salzmann) (10/31/84)

>Any other nominees out there for Most Unintelligible Lyrics?

I understand a total of about 10 words in "Lemon Squeezer" by the
Stones (Hyde Park '69).

		Ladies and Gentlemen, it's all about to happen...
			B A Salzmann, ihnp4!ihuxj!tucson

sjf@foxvax1.UUCP (S.J. Foley ) (10/31/84)

That reminds me of that old Jim Stafford tune "My Girl Bill".
--
adios
	-sf-

Craig MacFarlane <cmacfarl@BBNCCJ.ARPA> (11/01/84)

Does anyone out there have the lyrics to watching the detectives? It seems
there are a few different versions floating around...
					craig

rogerh@arizona.UUCP (Roger Hayes) (11/01/84)

"Louie Louie", by the Kingsmen, of course.  As a runner-up, "Sally Free
and Easy" by An Triskell on "Musiques Celtiques" [Philips 6332 145] --
the first 10 times I played the record, I thought the cut was in French.

	Roger Hayes
	Tucson Arizona

hlee@hplabsb.UUCP (Ho John Lee) (11/01/84)

More Unintelligible Lyrics:

All of "The Wait" on the Pretenders first album. Can anyone figure out
what she's saying?

--
Ho John Lee, HP Labs
UUCP:	...!hplabs!hlee

Ron Natalie <ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA> (11/02/84)

Many people are of the opinion that the wrong Elvis died.

-Ron

myers@uwvax.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (11/02/84)

> Many people are of the opinion that the wrong Elvis died.
>
> -Ron

Many people are of the wrong opinion as to which Elvis is King.

-Jeff

"Paul W. Benjamin" <Benjamin@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA> (11/02/84)

> Many people are of the opinion that the wrong Elvis died.

As a fan of both, I would not have been overjoyed at the news of
either's death.  Mr Costello, of course, was unknown at the time of Mr
Presley's death.  We speak, necessarily, of physical death.  Elvis
Presley's spiritual and creative death occurred in the late 1950's when
he got out of the Army and started singing mostly ballads and playing
Las Vegas.

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (11/04/84)

>Any other nominees out there for Most Unintelligible Lyrics?

There was this song, I'm not even sure of the name, which I think is "Candles
in the Rain" by Merrilee Rush.  I couldn't tell what half the words were, but
I remeber just a few.

"Some came to dance, some came to play ..."

Then she went into an "Oh rain ... (???) ... but you know we couldn't stay
dry against the rain ..."
--
			Baby tie your hair back in a long white bow ...
			Meet me in the field, behind the dynamo ...

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

techpub@mhuxt.UUCP (mcgrew) (11/05/84)

> There was this song, I'm not even sure of the name, which I think is "Candles
> in the Rain" by Merrilee Rush.  I couldn't tell what half the words were, but
> I remeber just a few.
>
> "Some came to dance, some came to play ..."
>
> Then she went into an "Oh rain ... (???) ... but you know we couldn't stay
> dry against the rain ..."
> --
I thought "Candles in the Rain" was by Melanie

Melanie (unfortunately, not the singer)
@ Short Hills AT&T-BL

"Paul W. Benjamin" <Benjamin@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA> (11/07/84)

> There was this song, I'm not even sure of the name, which I think is "Candles
> in the Rain" by Merrilee Rush.  I couldn't tell what half the words were, but
> I remeber just a few.

> "Some came to dance, some came to play ..."

"Candles in the Rain" was by Melanie (Safka?), not Merrilee Rush.  I
believe that Merrilee Rush was responsible for "Angel of the Morning".

bllklly@uwmacc.UUCP (Bill Kelly) (11/08/84)

In article <172@ssc-vax.UUCP> adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) writes:
> Now tell the truth: did you understand more than 20% of the lyrics to "Chuck E's
>In Love" before you read them?  As a matter of fact, have you ever been able
>to understand a thing that Ricki Lee Jones sings?

As a matter of fact, I read an article on Ricky Lee's new album which went
something like:  Ricky had trouble handling the success of her first album.
She had increasing trouble with drugs and alcohol.  Her words on stage
became slurred.

How could they tell? :-)
--

Bill Kelly    "Working for paper and for iron."
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!bllklly

strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) (11/12/84)

>Many people are of the opinion that the wrong Elvis died.

The bloated Las Vegas Elvis is dead (thank god), the "You
Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog" Elvis will never die.

( I know, you are referring to Elvis Costello probably, but that
make 3 Elvis' now, or 4 if you distinguish the early Elvis Costello
from the present one. So which of the 4 Elvis' are you referring to?)