[net.micro.amiga] 68020+68881 in a mac?

kim@mips.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (12/21/85)

> Larry Hutchinson, Tektronix, Inc. writes in net.micro.mac:
>
> 	I just received a data sheet on a mezzanine board containing a 68020
> 	and a 68881 that plugs into a normal 68000's 64 pin dip socket.
> 	The board is 2.5" by 3.2" by 0.3".  The price was not given but I
> 	would guess it is steep (>$1000).  Those who are interested should
> 	contact:
> 		IO Inc.
> 		2430 N. Huachuca Dr.
> 		Tucson, Arizona 85745
> 		(602) 792-0969

I spoke briefly with Tom Sargent (IO Inc's President) ... the '020 that comes
on this board is a 12.5 MHz part, but it runs at whatever the original clock
rate was (and is restricted to a 16-bit data-path).  Price quoted was $1000
w/o the 68881;  $1272 with it (quantity of one).  Quantity discounts start at
the "quantity of two" level ($50 off per board).  Availability was said to be
2 weeks, ARO.

> 	Also, I suspect that there are many companies making similar products
> 	and that the price may become reasonable in the comming year.

Yes.  Computer System Associates (CSA) in San Diego has a similar product
available, which has been much discussed on net.micro.amiga.  The CSA board
is a bit more expensive, but has options for independent clocking and
on-board *32-bit* RAM (256K of it, anyway).

The IO Inc. board currently has an orientation problem if the installation is
in an Amiga ... the board needs to be "offset" from the 68000's socket in the
other direction.  IO Inc. will be either re-spinning the board to fit, or
will offer an "offset board" that would go in-between the 68000 socket and
their 68020 daughter-board.

The above is provided for information (and wishful thinking) only;  I have
no connection with either company.

/kim
--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim
DDD:   415-960-1200