[net.micro.amiga] 1986 predictions

bryan@ihnet.UUCP (b. k. delaney) (12/27/85)

What will happen next year ?

Here are my 1986 predictions for the Amiga, ST, MAC.

The Atari 520ST will come standard with 1 megabyte of ram
by June.  Also sales will be better than most people think
(200,000 units per month).  Atari will also be in the OEM
business (low cost UNIX based CAD-CAM systems), probably
in partnership with a large company.  Experts will be
amazed that there really is a HOME computer market that
nobody has been able to find (until the ST).

Amiga sales will be slower than expected but good enough
to keep Commodore going (15,000 units per month).  The
Amiga will also come standard with 1 megabyte of ram.
Sales will be very slow in first quarter 86, but will pick up
when the Amiga gets a 30% price cut.

There will be plenty of software for the Amiga and the
Atari ST, but as usually is the case, (look at the old
Atari 800 systems) it will NOT take advantage of Amiga's
Graphics hardware.  Large software companies like to write
portable code.  Smaller companies will write the Good Stuff.

Apple may be in VERY DEEP trouble, but with Fat MACs for
$1500.00 and the new APPLE IIxt 16 bit computer that runs
in two modes ,8 and 8/16 bit, will pull  out of trouble.
The new apple will use the new 8/16 bit 6502 micro.
It looks like the first Personal Computer will never
die, (who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks).

				ihnet!bryan

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (12/28/85)

In article <341@ihnet.UUCP> bryan@ihnet.UUCP (b. k. delaney) writes:
>Here are my 1986 predictions for the Amiga, ST, MAC.
>
> . . . . . . . .
>
>Apple may be in VERY DEEP trouble, but with Fat MACs for
>$1500.00 and the new APPLE IIxt 16 bit computer that runs
>in two modes ,8 and 8/16 bit, will pull  out of trouble.
>The new apple will use the new 8/16 bit 6502 micro.
>It looks like the first Personal Computer will never
>die, (who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks).

The //x (which is the name [I think], not the IIxt) may not
become an entity. There is a company selling cards for the
//e and //c that essentially turn them into //x's, with
65816 and 1meg RAM. And it goes for $400! So what I hear
from a friend of a friend who has indirect connections
with Apple is that no //x will be made, at least this year.

--
Erik Bailey
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Erik Bailey        -- 7 Oak Knoll                 (USENET courtesy of
ihnp4!godot!ejb       Arlington, MA  02174        Thinking Machines Corp.
ejb@think.com.arpa    (617) 643-0732              Cambridge, MA)

"He's dead, Jim."   -- Leonard H. McCoy

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (01/04/86)

In article <341@ihnet.UUCP> bryan@ihnet.UUCP (b. k. delaney) writes:

>What will happen next year ?
>
>Here are my 1986 predictions for the Amiga, ST, MAC.

This should either be "AMIGA, ST, MAC" or "Amiga, ST, Mac".

>Apple may be in VERY DEEP trouble, but with Fat MACs for
>$1500.00 and the new APPLE IIxt 16 bit computer that runs
>in two modes ,8 and 8/16 bit, will pull  out of trouble.
>The new apple will use the new 8/16 bit 6502 micro.
>It looks like the first Personal Computer will never
>die, (who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks).

Why do you think Apple is in "VERY DEEP" trouble?  $50 million in
profit / quarter and $300 million in the bank sure doesn't sound
like deep trouble to me!
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim