[net.sf-lovers] Query: Stories by Peter Phillips?

mjc@cad.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (10/13/85)

I have just finished a short story by Peter Phillips called "Manna" and would
like to find other stories or novels by him.  The intro to the story mentions
that he has written several stories, but doesn't mention novels.  "Manna" is
copyright 1949 and the anthology it is in does not mention a source.

Does anyone know in which anthologies I could find other stories by this
author, and if he ever wrote any books?

PLEASE NOTE: This is to be considered a personal challenge to jmb.  Please
do not answer to the net until he has posted his answer.  I don't really
want to cause another net flood.  (Mail is always welcome, though.)

Thanks in advance.

							-Dragon
--
UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (10/15/85)

> From:	cad.cs.cmu.edu!mjc	(Dragon)

> I have just finished a short story by Peter Phillips called "Manna" and would
> like to find other stories or novels by him.
> [...]
> Does anyone know in which anthologies I could find other stories by this
> author, and if he ever wrote any books?
>
> PLEASE NOTE: This is to be considered a personal challenge to jmb.  Please
> do not answer to the net until he has posted his answer.  I don't really
> want to cause another net flood.  (Mail is always welcome, though.)

I certainly can't turn down a personal challenge, but be advised
that if I'm caught in a work break like I was the other month,
you may well wait for a month or more for your answer.

Anyways, on to Peter Phillips. He was a British newspaperman and
author, with only short stories (at least in the sf field) to his
fiction credit. I've been able to scare up info on 20 stories.
Format is:

"<Story title>"			<Original magazine appearance>
	<ANTHOLOGY APPEARANCE>  (editor's name)

"At No Extra Cost"		Marvel Science Stories	(8/51)
	THE BEST SCIENCE FICTION STORIES: 1952
	    (ed. Everett Bleiler & Ted Dikty)

"c/o Mr. Makepeace"	     Fantasy & Science Fiction	(2/54)
	THE DARK SIDE  (ed. Damon Knight)
	OPERATION FUTURE  (ed. Groff Conklin)

"Counter Charm"		   Slant [a British magazine?]	(Spr/51)
	FIFTY SHORT SCIENCE FICTION TALES
	    (ed. Isaac Asimov & Groff Conklin)

"Criteria"				Planet Stories	(5/52)
	[not anthologized]

"Dreams Are Sacred"	    Astounding Science Fiction	(9/48)
	THE ASTOUNDING-ANALOG READER, VOLUME 2
	    (ed. Harry Harrison & Brian Aldiss)
	IMAGINATION UNLIMITED  (ed. Bleiler & Dikty)
	    [abridged in Britain as MEN OF SPACE AND TIME]
	SPECTRUM 3  (ed. Kingsley Amis & Robert Conquest)

"Field Study"			Galaxy Science Fiction	(4/51)
	THE GALAXY READER OF SCIENCE FICTION  (ed. H.L. Gold)

"First Man in the Moon"	     Fantasy & Science Fiction	(9/54)
				       Science Fantasy	(5/56)
	[not anthologized]

"Lila"				     Startling Stories	(4/53)
	[not anthologized]

"Lost Memory"			Galaxy Science Fiction	(5/52)
	THE COMING OF THE ROBOTS  (ed. Sam Moskowitz)
	CONTACT  (ed. Noel Keyes)
	THE GALAXY SCIENCE FICTION OMNIBUS  (ed. H.L. Gold)
	GATEWAY TO TOMORROW  (ed. John Carnell)
	    [British publication only]
	SCIENCE FICTION TERROR TALES  (ed. Groff Conklin)
	THE SECOND GALAXY READER OF SCIENCE FICTION (ed. Gold)
	THEMES IN SCIENCE FICTION  (ed. Leo P. Kelley)

"Manna"			    Astounding Science Fiction	(2/49)
	BIG BOOK OF SCIENCE FICTION  (ed. Conklin) [h/c only]
	A SCIENCE FICTION ARGOSY  (ed. Knight)

"Next Stop, the Moon"	    New Worlds Science Fiction	(1/58)
	[not anthologized]

"P-Plus"		    Astounding Science Fiction	(8/49)
	[not anthologized]

"Plagairist"		    New Worlds Science Fiction	(Sum/50)
	FUTURE TENSE  (ed. Kendall F. Crossen)

"She Who Laughs"		Galaxy Science Fiction	(4/52)
	ASSIGNMENT IN TOMORROW  (ed. Frederik Pohl)

"Sylvia"			       Fantasy Fiction	(6/53)
	[not anthologized]

"University"			Galaxy Science Fiction	(4/53)
	THE SECOND GALAXY READER OF SCIENCE FICTION (ed. Gold)

"Unknown Quantity"	    New Worlds Science Fiction	(#5/49)
	THE BEST FROM NEW WORLDS SCIENCE FICTION
	    (ed. John Carnell)  [British publication only]
	NO PLACE LIKE EARTH  (ed. Carnell) [British h/c only]

"Variety Quest"		      Infinity Science Fiction	(6/56)
	[not anthologized]

"The Warning"		     Fantasy & Science Fiction	(9/53)
	BEYOND THE BARRIERS OF SPACE AND TIME
	    (ed. Judith Merril)

"Well I'll be Hexed"		  Fantastic Adventures	(8/50)
	[not anthologized]

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Bibliography is my business">