[net.micro.amiga] Amiga vs ST information

ditzel@ssc-bee.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (01/07/86)

>From: dave@heurikon.UUCP (Dave Scidmore)
>Subject: ST vs Amiga information

>First off, not every Amiga sold needs a monitor, this
>is not true for the Atari whos 70Hz non standard video rate requires that you
>purchase their monitor. This means that for people who have a TV/monitor or an
>existing monitor that will accept the Amiga output, an Amiga without monitor
>vs Atari with monitor comparison would be more accurate.
Not really. My suspicion  is that most people that buy Amigas also buy a
monitor.

>The Amiga as it is shipped now really has 512K built in, 256K of user RAM
>and 256 of kickstart RAM.
Does the average user have access to that kickstart RAM?
A store i saw the Amiga displayed at couldn't run many of its demos because
the programs needed 512K.  SOOO? WHAT gives ... what good is RAM you
can't access (just as Atari's TOS gobbles up ~206k currently)?  The people
selling the machines INSIST you need a to buy 256k more to bring the machine
up to 512K. I think in a pragmatic way...they are right.  The machine may
come with 512k but you can only use 256k. Please feel free to correct me
if i'm wrong but i think you are talking about vapor ram.

>The Atari has 512K of RAM of which 206K is used for the operating system.
>This leaves a little over 300K for user RAM.
>This is about comparable to (though
>slightly better than) a 256K Amiga.
ok. TOS/GEM (Atari's Operating system) is (as of the first of January) in
rom. So owners will be able to free up that 206k if they want...for instance
in my case it will cost me nothing. $0.00 . I don't know what will be
the typical cost if any. I imagine somewhere around $25

>The double sided double density floppy
>lists out at about $100 more than the single sided floppy. If you add this up
>you get $1099 for the Atari and $1795 for the Amiga.
>This makes the Amiga about 63% more expensive.
>This is much closer to 50% than it is to twice as much.
I would add $200 to get your machine up to 512k. $1995.00
I am still confused by your pricing...does this include a monitor. if
not you should really throw one in.
Is this all semantics. out of all this i am still left with the impression
i would be shelling out about twice as much money in order to buy an Amiga.