[net.micro.amiga] Amiga visit

crunch@well.UUCP (John Draper) (01/11/86)

AMIGA VISIT
-----------

   Had a sucessful trip to Amiga today,  and have a little news to report
about what to expect in the future.   First off,  our hero R.J Mical
the creator of Intuition will be leaving Amiga on the 17th of Jan to
pursue new and innovative ideas.   It turned out that we had met at
an Island Graphics Party a few years ago and we talked about old times.

   RJ will be working on his own stuff and hinted that it would involve
productivity tools for programmers and developers.   I gave RJ access to
the WELL,  so he will still be making frequent appearances on Usenet,
the WELL, BIX, and the other networks.   So,  Lets all wish him well
in his future ventures, as he will be dedicating himself towards future
Amiga software.

   Fred Fish,  another Usenet guru drove me down with him,  and Fred will
be posting new programs as soon as he gets them prepared for postings.
They include the NEW Mandelbrot program that uses IFF to save the pictures
which can be read in with dpaint.   RJ handed the source to Fred today
and it includes some code he used in graphiCraft.   It will be the
BEST example posted on the net so far,  so be on the lookout for it.

   The Programmers Network will be working closely with Amiga to assist
in the distribution of information to help take the load off of Amiga
who are swamped right now preparing to release the new 1.1 manual.
I got word today that the manual is in the printers and should soon be
released.

   All developer to Amiga communications should take place in WestChester
Pa, and NOT Los Gatos.   Dave Street is the person to contact if you want
to be an "official" Amiga developer.   Amiga is setting up an on-line
system via Uninet now.

   All communication on Usenet by the Amiga team is done on their own
time,  and they enjoy the ralationship and communication over usenet,
and will continue to provide educational and interesting postings.

   For those wishing to communicate with the Amiga group over UUCP,   I
have provided a list of the Amiga people below,  and their titles, for
those interested in direct communication.

Robert Pariseau  (VP Software)          hplabs!pyramid!amiga!bobp
Jim Macraz       (Intuition)            hplabs!pyramid!amiga!jimm
Dale Luck        (graphics guru)        hplabe!pyramid!amiga!dale
Bruce Barrett    (Software Q&A)         hplabs!pyramid!amiga!bruceb
Robert Peck      (Documentation)           "      "     "    robp
Dave Lucas       (Developers Interface)    "      "     "    lucas

   For those wishing RJ the best of luck in his new ventures,  mail to
hplabs!pyramid!amiga!rj

   Oh yea!!  The results of the poll I took about me next tutorial is
leaning towards IFF,  and Multi-tasking.   The xerox machine wasn't
working at Amiga,  as soon as I get additional information on Multi-
tasking,  I will start the process of digesting the information.

   Also,  a great tutorial by Steven A. Bennett has been posted to BIX
last night.    I will post it here.   It covers the sound drivers and
includes a working demo on creating sound.   It looks like Steve beat me
to the sound tutorial,  So be on the lookout for it.   I encourage other
people to post tutorials on the Amiga like I'm doing.   The topics we
need to cover are:

-- More graphics and animation
-- IFF
-- Multi-tasking
-- Creating your own device drivers
-- Assembly Language interfacing to Intuition and Rom routines.
-- Speech (Although there are excellent examples around).
-- Creating your own "Libraries".

     If I have left anything else out,  Please let me know,  I will
     post a more complete list,  and if anyone wants to volunteer
     to do a tutorial,   Please let me know,  so we don't duplicate
     our efforts.

   Oh yes,  a lot of requests have been pouring in about what the .info
file format is.   Amiga will NOT release this information because the
format is subject to change and it would cause problems with future
development.  Amiga recommends that we use the GetIcon, and PutIcon
functions (Hmmm!! don't recall seeing those routines).

   So,  thats it from the "Newsroom",   better get back to digesting
all this new information I just got.

John Draper
Toastmaster for the Programmers Network
"The place where we all live and learn"

UUCP: ihnp4!ptsfa!well!crunch
 BIX: crunch
delphi: CRUNCH
  MCI: crunch

neil@amiga.UUCP (Neil Katin) (01/13/86)

In article <465@well.UUCP> crunch@well.UUCP (John Draper) writes:
>   Oh yes,  a lot of requests have been pouring in about what the .info
>file format is.   Amiga will NOT release this information because the
>format is subject to change and it would cause problems with future
>development.  Amiga recommends that we use the GetIcon, and PutIcon
>functions (Hmmm!! don't recall seeing those routines).
>
>John Draper
>Toastmaster for the Programmers Network
>"The place where we all live and learn"
>
>UUCP: ihnp4!ptsfa!well!crunch
> BIX: crunch
>delphi: CRUNCH
>  MCI: crunch

I wanted to correct this portion of John's posting: the "most" recommended
routines to read and write ".info" files are:

    GetDiskObject( fileName )
    PutDiskObject( fileName, diskObject )
    FreeDiskObject( diskObject )

They have the simplest interface and do the most cleaning up after
themselves.

	Neil Katin
	Commodore-Amiga, Inc.