[net.micro.amiga] MC68010

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (01/15/86)

    finally got my M68000KIT.  among the ap' notes is an interesting
blurb titled "Advantages of Upgrading an MC68000 to an MC68010".
some excerpts:

	[discussion of disadvantages of simply raising clock speed]
	A "painless" alternative means to _effectively_ increase
	system performance is to upgrade to the MC68010 processor.
	The MC68010 at _equal_ clock frequencies will run from 8%
	to 50% faster than an MC68000 without any user code changes.
	The speed-ups are due to several microcode enhancements:
	many 32-bit operations, conditional branches, multiply,
	divide, and other miscellaneous instructions run faster.
	... Systems may see a significant improvement if they heavily
	utilize multiply, divide, and looping instructions.  Loops
	run from 23% to 80% faster once the microcode sets up the
	automatic "loop mode".  ... The new MC68010 multiply is 14
	clocks faster, and the divide is 32 clocks faster than the
	MC68000.  Programs utilizing such operations ... can obtain
	an increase in performance easily exceeding 10%. ... The
	bottom line is, by upgrading to an MC68010 system, an increase
	in system performance is obtained which is equal to that which
	a system redesign from 10MHz to 12.5MHz would provide, but with
	significantly less design cost and effort.  The "speed-only"
	upgrade could only achieve, at best, a 25% system improvement,
	and only if the system memory access time is significantly
	improved.

    hamilton-avnet (i WISH there was a relation) is charging $28 for
MC68010L8's, if you're not interested in the $68 package.  i plan to
do a lot of benchmarks before and after the replacement in my amiga;
film at 11.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
Phone:	(217)333-8703

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (01/17/86)

In article <148600032@uiucuxc> hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:

>    finally got my M68000KIT.  among the ap' notes is an interesting
>blurb titled "Advantages of Upgrading an MC68000 to an MC68010".
>some excerpts:
>
>	utilize multiply, divide, and looping instructions.  Loops
>	run from 23% to 80% faster once the microcode sets up the
>       automatic "loop mode".

"loop mode" only works when it is a dbCC loop, and the body of the loop
is a one word instruction.  So string moves and memory clears will be
faster, but most systems probably don't spend a lot of time in these
kind of loops.

--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim