[net.micro.amiga] Chapter 11?

farmer@houligan.UUCP (Bullwinkle) (01/10/86)

Subject: Commodore in Chapter 11?
Newsgroups: net.micro.amiga

      I have heard rumours that Commodore will file for Ch. 11 bankruptcy
   within the next few months.  (Chapter 11 is filing for a freeze of assets
   and internal reorganization).  I would appreciate any information which
   any of you might come across.

      Personally, I would like to buy an Amiga after some more research and
   this is a looming question in my mind.

      Also, please, no gloating from the ST gallery at this rumour.

			Yup! Yup! Yup!
--
-----
			Bullwinkle

eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) (01/14/86)

>       I have heard rumours that Commodore will file for Ch. 11 bankruptcy
>    within the next few months.  (Chapter 11 is filing for a freeze of assets
>    and internal reorganization).  I would appreciate any information which
>    any of you might come across.

What I have heard (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong(:

Commodore failed to make a payment to its creditors in September or October,
1985.  At that time, the loan was considered in default, and the bankers
stepped in to help manage (and are continuing to do so) the company.  At
ANY TIME, the bankers can now call in the balance of the debt and force
Commodore into bankruptcy proceedings (since Commodore missed one payment,
the whole balance is callable).

Now the bankers don't want to kill a company that has a reasonable chance of
making restitution so they are waiting to assess the current strength of
Commodore's offerings in the market.  The results of the Christmas selling
season will probably way heavily upon any decision they make so we may
hear soon.

Also, according to The DTACK junkmail flyer, Commodore may be hit for millions
of back taxes from various governments.  The bankers will have to cough up
cash to pay these taxes if Commodore is to keep running.  Obviously, they
don't want to throw good money after bad, so if Commodore isn't making
a profit, bye bye.

Many rumors have circulated that Commodore is trying to sell the Amiga division.This may keep the Amiga going even if Commodore later goes under.

--
	Mike Eve     Boeing Aerospace, Seattle
	...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!eve

mckay@pur-ee.UUCP (Dwight D McKay) (01/15/86)

Last week's Wall Street Journal reported the sales of the Amiga were, "at
the low end" of Commodore's predictions.  They did NOT mention anything
about Chapter 11 proceedings but did stay that several of the loans
Commodore has from banks will expire the end of January...

--Dwight Mckay, ECN Software Support [mckay@purdue-ecn]

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (01/17/86)

> Now the bankers don't want to kill a company that has a reasonable chance of
> making restitution...

Seems reasonable, right?  Well, we at Terak found out that you can't
depend on bankers being reasonable.  Our banker (the Bank of Boston)
forced us to seek refuge in Chapter 11 last year even though it was not
at all to their advantage (and it certainly wasn't to *our* advantage!)

Our operating credit line was a demand line, secured by accounts
receivable.  At the time they pulled the plug, the receivables were
worth about $1.5 million face value, our credit limit was about
$800,000, and we had exercised only about $450,000 of that.  We had
about $250,000 in our checking account at the Bank of Boston.  We had
just reported our most profitable quarter in a number of years, and
had a major new product line about ready for introduction.

About two weeks after the Bank of Boston was caught laundering Mafia
money, it notified us that it was exercising its option to demand
immediate payment in full.  This was obviously out of the question,
and we counter-offered a pay-off over 3 months.  They refused that,
and we explained that since we couldn't possibly arrange a new
credit line before the payment deadline, if they were to insist on
immediate payment in full we would have no options except to file
for protection.  They not only insisted, they siezed our checking
account (apparently a few days before they even notified us that
they were going to).

We filed for protection -- there was no choice.  The judge ordered
Bank of Boston to return our checking account, to accept a pay-off
over ten months, and to relinquish their lien on our receivables.

The moral is that the bank knew darn well that they'd be worse off
if they forced us to seek refuge in Chapter 11, but did it anyway.
A wheeler-dealer of my acquaintance tells me that it's not the
first time he's heard of bankers operating irrationally.

I hope Commodore fares better than we did.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {hardy,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug