[net.micro.amiga] a printer question

gary@ssc-vax.UUCP (Gary J Albert) (01/14/86)

	I have a Gemini SG-10 printer that I have hooked to my Amiga
	which seems to work just fine with one exception.  If I send
	a file to the PRT: device I get an extra LineFeed on every
	line.  If I send to the PAR: device everything works fine
	though.  I have tried changing the parameters using the pref-
	erences tool but to no avail.  If someone could give me an idea
	of what's wrong I would sure appreciate it.

			Gary Albert
			Boeing Aerospace Co.
			ssc_vax!gary

tomp@amiga.UUCP (Tom Pohorsky) (01/18/86)

In article <463@ssc-vax.UUCP> gary@ssc-vax.UUCP (Gary J Albert) writes:

>	I have a Gemini SG-10 printer that I have hooked to my Amiga
>	which seems to work just fine with one exception.  If I send
>	a file to the PRT: device I get an extra LineFeed on every
>	line.  If I send to the PAR: device everything works fine
>	though.  I have tried changing the parameters using the pref-
>	erences tool but to no avail.  If someone could give me an idea
>	of what's wrong I would sure appreciate it.

   The PRT: device is a filter to alter data to a fully printer-usable
format, and then send it to the PAR: device. Typically it might add
control/escape sequences, expand carraige returns to a CR plus a line
feed, enable special graphics, etc... Obviously, this can be very
(paraticular-brand-and-model) device specific, and thusly one specifies
in Preferences which printer(-specific-filter) to use. Gemini is not
one of the explicitly-supported printers, but it's convenient that it
handles raw data->standard printout.

edds@unc.UUCP (01/20/86)

In article <563@amiga.amiga.UUCP> tomp@stella.UUCP (Tom Pohorsky) writes:

>   The PRT: device is a filter to alter data to a fully printer-usable
>format, and then send it to the PAR: device. Typically it might add
>control/escape sequences, expand carraige returns to a CR plus a line
>feed, enable special graphics, etc... Obviously, this can be very
>(paraticular-brand-and-model) device specific, and thusly one specifies
>in Preferences which printer(-specific-filter) to use. Gemini is not
>one of the explicitly-supported printers, but it's convenient that it
>handles raw data->standard printout.

   I use a Gemini SG-10 with the 'epson' selection from Preferences, and
set the appropriate DIP switch (see user's manual) so that the printer
operates in "IBM mode" instead of "Star mode". This works fine, including
options such as elite (12 cpi) type.

  Tom Edds     UNC-CH Psych Dept.
  {decvax}!mcnc!unc!edds