[net.micro.amiga] amiga hi-res

king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) (01/13/86)

**
I have hooked my amiga to a Sony PVM1271q monitor, and the results
in hi-res mode are quite impressive. Using DPaint, I drew a number
of horizontal and vertical lines in different colors. Some flicker
is apparent, but by adjusting the brightness and contrast it can
be lowered to a level where it is not objectional. In fact, with
any color lines other than white, the flicker disappears if I move
my head back about 3 feet from the monitor. Of course, white horizontal
lines of one pixel thickness always seem to flicker, but vertical
lines do not, nor do lines of greater thickness.
The PVM1271Q is a relatively expensive ($1,000 CDN) communications
monitor (capable of decoding NTSC 3.58, NTSC 4.43, PAL, SECAM, accepts
RGB inputs) with a SUPER fine pitch CRT ( .25 mm ). I am quite happy
with DPaint in the lo-res mode as the monitor gives a crisp, rich
looking pictures which are a joy to work with. I have no problem
reading 80 X 25 text on the screen and cannot understand why anyone
. We have done a side by side
comparison with the Sony monitor and a hi-res Conrac hooked to the
Amiga. The Sony came out a winner! The picture was sharper ( perhaps
due to the smaller screen size), brighter and had richer colors than
the much more expensive Conrac.
*** Atari owners, eat your hearts out ***

knnngt@ukma.UUCP (Alan Kennington) (01/15/86)

In article <1760@dciem.UUCP> king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) writes:
>be lowered to a level where it is not objectional. In fact, with
>any color lines other than white, the flicker disappears if I move
>my head back about 3 feet from the monitor. Of course, white horizontal
>lines of one pixel thickness always seem to flicker, but vertical
This conjures up images of Amiga owners everywhere standing back 3 feet
from their flickering terminals, using long sticks to operate the keyboard
and a 3-foot extension on the mouse, just so that they don't have to put
up with that awful flicker! Why didn't you just buy a 70Hz paperwhite
monochrome terminal?..... my apologies to civilised people everywhere who
think that I'm another of those ST upstarts. (Hee, hee.)    ak.

tomp@amiga.UUCP (Tom Pohorsky) (01/21/86)

In article <2467@ukma.UUCP> knnngt@ukma.UUCP (Alan Kennington) writes:
>In article <1760@dciem.UUCP> king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) writes:
>>be lowered to a level where it is not objectional. In fact, with
>>any color lines other than white, the flicker disappears if I move
>>my head back about 3 feet from the monitor. Of course, white horizontal
>>lines of one pixel thickness always seem to flicker, but vertical
>This conjures up images of Amiga owners everywhere standing back 3 feet
>from their flickering terminals, using long sticks to operate the keyboard
>and a 3-foot extension on the mouse, just so that they don't have to put
>up with that awful flicker! Why didn't you just buy a 70Hz paperwhite

  Why don't you bother to notice that the mouse and keyboard are on >3 foot
cables. I've been using it the way <king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King)> describes
without thinking of it as inconvenient or even worth special comment. Note
that this frees the long stick for uses like poking the eyes out of extreme-
ly stupid ... well, you get the idea:-).

>monochrome terminal?..... my apologies to civilised people everywhere who
>think that I'm another of those ST upstarts. (Hee, hee.)    ak.
>>*** Atari owners, eat your hearts out ***

  Brain owners, make my day.