[net.micro.amiga] Memory upgrade question

joels@tekred.UUCP (Joel Swank) (01/21/86)

   Would it be possible to expand the Amiga on board memory to 1 Meg
by replacing the 256K memory chips with 1 Meg chips?

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (01/23/86)

In article <435@tekred.UUCP>, joels@tekred.UUCP (Joel Swank) writes:

>    Would it be possible to expand the Amiga on board memory to 1 Meg
> by replacing the 256K memory chips with 1 Meg chips?

     Not until someone comes out with 1 Meg chips organized as 256K x 4
(The Amiga's chips are 64Kx4).

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {your favorite backbone site}!hplabs!well!farren

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (01/24/86)

In article <537@well.UUCP> farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) writes:
>In article <435@tekred.UUCP>, joels@tekred.UUCP (Joel Swank) writes:
>>
>>    Would it be possible to expand the Amiga on board memory to 1 Meg
>> by replacing the 256K memory chips with 1 Meg chips?
>
>     Not until someone comes out with 1 Meg chips organized as 256K x 4
>(The Amiga's chips are 64Kx4).

   I was under the impression (please correct me if I am wrong) that the
Amiga could only address up 512K on that side of the bus. Believe me, I
would be overjoyed to be wrong about this!

   While I am on the subject of memory, I just remembered... (get it? huh?).
We recently had the first meeting of the Atlanta Area Amiga User's Group -
that is NOT an official title mind you. One of the people who came to the
meeting is a representative of The Micro Forge, a hardware and software
development firm. He provided me with the following list of products that
they were making for the Amiga:
                                                Accepting      Shipping
Product                             Retail        Orders         Date

               All hardware - 2 to 4 weeks delivery**
	       ------------------------------------

7-slot expansion box w/case,
boards and 130W power supply:       716.95         NOW           Feb. 1
7-slot expansion board only :       326.95         NOW           Feb. 1
7-slot case only            :       186.95         NOW           Feb. 1
1-slot single board adapter :        99.95         NOW           NOW
power supply - 130W         :       215.95         NOW           NOW
2-Meg Ram board *           :       999.95         NOW           March 1
10-Meg Hard Disk system*    :     1,394.95         NOW           NOW
20-Meg Hard Disk system*    :     1,510.95         NOW           NOW
40-Meg Hard Disk system*    :     1,819.95         NOW           Feb. 1
10-Meg second Hard Disk*    :       928.95         NOW           NOW
20-Meg second Hard Disk*    :     1,044.95         NOW           NOW
40-Meg second Hard Disk*    :     1,352.95         NOW           Feb. 1
Hard Disk case only
(for use w/single board adaptor)     28.95         NOW           NOW
Stereo Sound Digitizer      :       399.95         NOW           Feb. 15

                    Software - 1 week delivery**
		    --------------------------

Programmer's Editor         :        69.95         NOW           Feb. 1
RAM Disk                    :        24.95         NOW           NOW

* Requires 130W Power Supply
**All orders must be pre-paid, Visa and Mastercard accepted.

If any one is interested, here is their address:

	 The Micro Forge
	 398 Grant Street S.E.
	 Atlanta, Ga. 30312-2227
	 (404) 688-9464

I would like to point out that I have no affilliation with this company
and make no recommendations. I have not had a chance to try any of their
products as of yet. I am also uncertain as to the competitiveness of
their prices. I publish this only for the sake of knowledge.

Joel Rives
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr

   "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!"
					<< Buckaroo Banzai >>