[net.micro.amiga] noninterlaced mode

roberts@nbs-vms.ARPA@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/01/86)

From: "ROBERTS, JOHN" <roberts@nbs-vms.ARPA>

How does the Amiga in non-interlaced mode persuade the monitor to
exactly retrace the first field in the second field of the frame?

                                John Roberts
                                roberts@nbs-vms.ARPA

------

hull@hao.UUCP (Howard Hull) (02/03/86)

> How does the Amiga in non-interlaced mode persuade the monitor to
> exactly retrace the first field in the second field of the frame?
>                                 John Roberts
>                                 roberts@nbs-vms.ARPA

I seem to have no possibility of getting mail through to John by the "r"
command.  The mailer can't find the site, and sends the mail back along
the news path through topaz and caip.  The caip site *always* rejects it
(The deamon there hates return mail).  So I guess I'll just post the reply
here...

The Amiga doesn't have to convince the monitor to overlay the second field
of lines on top the the first.  The monitor *wants* to do that just naturally.
What is more likely a task for the Amiga is to get the monitor to interlace
properly.  To do that, the Amiga must generate "equalizing pulses" at twice
the normal line rate during the vertical sync interval, and then momentarily
invert one of the vertical sync horizontal pulses to get the monitor to sync
half a line later than normal.  At the bottom of that frame, it then must
repeat this stunt, but half a line earlier.

[If yet unproven concepts are outlawed in the range of discussion...
                   ...Then only the deranged will discuss yet unproven concepts]
        {ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | harpo!seismo } !hao!hull
								Howard Hull