[net.micro.amiga] leaving my amiga on

mwm%ucbopal@BERKELEY.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/02/86)

From: Mike (I'll be mellow when I'm dead) Meyer <mwm%ucbopal@BERKELEY.EDU>

Given the time it takes to get an Amiga up from power-off, I'm tempted to
leave it on all the time. This should be good for the electronic parts of
the box (power-on surge being the worst part of normal wear), and not good
for the monitor (so I turn it off).

However, I'm pretty sure that the drivers continually checking for disks in
the floppy drives is *not* good for them. The clunk-clunk of the check is
pretty annoying, too. I'm tempted to put disks in the drive, and leave them
there. However, I don't know how this will be for either the drive or the
disk. I know doing that with 8" drives does awful things to them both.

Someone want to tell me what leaving disks in a power-ed on Amiga for long
periods (say, 24-48 hours without use, worst case) will do to the disk and
the drive? Anything wrong with the basic idea of leaving the Amiga on with
the monitor off?

	Thanx,
	<mike
	mwm@ucbvax

neil@amiga.UUCP (Neil Katin) (02/03/86)

In article <1156@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> mwm%ucbopal@BERKELEY.EDU writes:
>From: Mike (I'll be mellow when I'm dead) Meyer <mwm%ucbopal@BERKELEY.EDU>
>
>Given the time it takes to get an Amiga up from power-off, I'm tempted to
>leave it on all the time. This should be good for the electronic parts of
>the box (power-on surge being the worst part of normal wear), and not good
>for the monitor (so I turn it off).
>
>However, I'm pretty sure that the drivers continually checking for disks in
>the floppy drives is *not* good for them. The clunk-clunk of the check is
>pretty annoying, too. I'm tempted to put disks in the drive, and leave them
>there. However, I don't know how this will be for either the drive or the
>disk. I know doing that with 8" drives does awful things to them both.
>
>Someone want to tell me what leaving disks in a power-ed on Amiga for long
>periods (say, 24-48 hours without use, worst case) will do to the disk and
>the drive? Anything wrong with the basic idea of leaving the Amiga on with
>the monitor off?
>
>	Thanx,
>	<mike
>	mwm@ucbvax

The amiga was designed for constant "power-on" usage.  This means that the
power supply is capable of continous operation, and that the box will
not overhead if it is always on.

Leaving a disk in the drive will stop the "clicking" of the disk.
The heads will not step if there is a diskette in them.  This will
extend the life of your drives (but the drives are good for several
years even if there is no diskette in them and they step every 2.5
seconds).

    Neil Katin
    Commodore-Amiga Inc.

hmm@unido.UUCP (02/03/86)

It's certainly a good idea to leave the amiga switched on all the time.
We don't have amiga's but atari 520ST's, and one of them is now running
for about 2 weeks continuously.  The monitor is not switched off but
the intensity is turned low.  I think that the wear of the phosphor is
mostly shortening the lifetime of a monitor, so this should be sufficient.
If someone knows better, please correct me.  I cannot help you about the
disks, because the atari does not access the disk when idle.  Maybe you can
turn off the disk drive, too, but I don't know if that's possible with
the amiga hardware and OS.  Surely accessing the disk every few seconds
will do harm to them if you let it run for a week.

	Hoping you don't ruin the machine,
	Hans-Martin Mosner <hmm@unido.uucp>, <hmm@unido.bitnet>
	University of Dortmund

DEC.BANKS@MARLBORO.DEC.COM@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/03/86)

From: Dawn Banks <DEC.BANKS@MARLBORO.DEC.COM>

   We've left the power turned on on our Amiga ever since we got it several
months ago.  Yes, we leave disks in all the drives to eliminate the clunk
noises.  We've yet to lose any data out of the deal.  The cooling fans, on
the other hand, are starting to sound a bit ragged.
   --------

>Someone want to tell me what leaving disks in a power-ed on Amiga for long
>periods (say, 24-48 hours without use, worst case) will do to the disk and
>the drive? Anything wrong with the basic idea of leaving the Amiga on with
>the monitor off?
>	<mike

It shouldn't hurt the drive to leave a disk in, and if you are worried
about the disk, just save the first BAD disk you get and use it to
keep the software happy so it won't keep accessing the drive.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (02/06/86)

>Given the time it takes to get an Amiga up from power-off, I'm tempted to
>leave it on all the time.

speaking of which, how can i get the boot to look for workbench on df1:,
so i can just load 2 disks and go take a coffee break while everything
comes up?

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703