[net.micro.amiga] Multi-user BBSes

S7YLF4%IRISHMVS@WISCVM.WISC.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/08/86)

From: S7YLF4%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

I've been wondering about that too, being sort of a BBS fanatic
myself.  There's a four/five-line BBS out here in (whoopee) South
Bend, Indiana, called the Connection, running on an Altos with
(I believe) Xenix (could be UNIX).  Anyway, it wouldn't seem to be
all that hard to write a multi-user board.  You would of course
have to have the separate serial ports and modems and lines, and
this costs money, but if you're a masochist and really want to do
it...  The question is, as always, of course, speed.  Does anyone
have any rough ideas on how multitasking four C BBSes together
would steal time?  I mean, what are the times for reading in/
writing to the port?  nj

daveb@amiga.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (02/10/86)

In article <1234@caip.RUTGERS.EDU>, S7YLF4%IRISHMVS@WISCVM.WISC.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU writes:
> From: S7YLF4%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
>
> Does anyone
> have any rough ideas on how multitasking four C BBSes together
> would steal time?  I mean, what are the times for reading in/
> writing to the port?  nj

	I have a full VT100 emulation terminal program running in 100% C
on the Amiga that has a throughput of over 9000 baud. Thus I deduce
that I multi-user BBS of 3-5 people running at 300-2400 baud should
be possible. Good luck!

	David Berezowski
	CBM/Amiga (East Coast)