[net.micro.amiga] modem info wanted

stuart@tellab1.UUCP (Rick Stuart) (01/30/86)

I have been in the market for a new 103/212 protocol modem for a couple
of months now and settled on a Hayes look-a-like.  But just to be on the
safe side I though I'd ask you people in net land if there might be a
better deal out there!  Here are the particulars of the modem I'm
looking at:

*Compatibility with "DOCUMENTED" Hayes commands
*Help menu
*Recognition of busy signal with retry at 30 second intervals
*Day, date and time (I don't think there's a battery backup for this)
*Extra phone jack on rear of modem
*Auto tone/pulse switching
*Auto answer

This modem sells for about $170.  Since this is not meant as advertisement,
I won't disclose the manufacture unless personally written to.  So, if
this is a good deal let me know, and if not let me know sooner.

				thanks in advance...
				Rick Stuart
				...ihnp4!tellab1!stuart

Hayes is a registered trademark of Hayes Microcomputer Products.

danny@convex.UUCP (02/01/86)

*** REPLACE THIS WITH YOUR FAVORITE MODEM ***

I have recently noticed two 2400 baud modems on the market that really make
my mouth water.  The first is the U.S. Robitics Courrier 2400 seen in the
listings of Programs Plus in MacWorld for $387 (don't know the phone offhand).
Also seen was was a Signalman Lighting 2400 (or something like that) for
(I'm not sure on this one) $349.  Now, nobody knew anything about the Courrier
execpt PC Connection (I think but their adds are blue and white 'ya know
"Price too low to print") who proceded to tell me that it did all sorts of
unattended things, menu things, and *TERMINAL EMULATION THINGS*  Sort of makes
you wonder...  He didn't have their address.  I haven't found out anything about
the Signalman Lightning.

Now, most of these facts are probably VERY flawed except for the prices.  Now,
I'm sure that with the right cable, *JUST ABOUT* any modem can be hooked to the
Amiga but the Hayes Smartmodem 2400 costs $575ish but then you *KNOW* it's Hayes
compatible ???RIGHT???

Dan Wallach
convex!danny

O_o
( ) - Nyet! Pfhhttt! Ack!

Disclaimer:  I am not associated with an of the above companies, my company, my
school, or my grades.

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (02/08/86)

In article <93500004@convex>, danny@convex.UUCP writes:
> I have recently noticed two 2400 baud modems on the market that really make
> my mouth water.  The first is the U.S. Robitics Courrier 2400 seen in the
> listings of Programs Plus in MacWorld for $387 (don't know the phone offhand).
> Also seen [...]

   I've been using a USR Courier for about 6 months now.  Fine modem. Works
great! Doesn't do much in the way of terminal emulation or unattended operation
(like, nothing).  Sounds like you were getting some kind of line from PC Conn-
ection!

> Now, most of these facts are probably VERY flawed except for the prices.

True.

> ...the Hayes Smartmodem 2400 costs $575ish but then you *KNOW* it's Hayes
> compatible ???RIGHT???

  Wrong.  The Hayes people decided to implement a very strange superset of
their 1200-baud command set in order to allow for new features like 2400 baud.
Strange as it may seem, in this regard, the USR is more "Hayes-compatible"
than the Hayes. It's extra command set is a very logical extension to the
original Hayes set.  I recommend this modem most highly.

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {your favorite backbone site}!hplabs!well!farren

ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo L. Schwab) (02/10/86)

[ Chew, munch, gulp! ]

	According to a friend of mine who has used them, the Hayes
Smartmodem 2400 is not very Hayes-compatible.  Apparently, it has
a bunch of "extended commands", which probably means new error/status
messages.

	Mind you, this is all conjecture based on second-hand information.

					Leo L. Schwab
					well!ewhac
					dual!unicom!schwab