[net.micro.amiga] Suggestions for next release of WorkBench/AmigaDOS

mwm%ucbopal@BERKELEY.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/08/86)

From: Mike (I'll be mellow when I'm dead) Meyer <mwm%ucbopal@BERKELEY.EDU>

One of each, actually. I know the Commmodore people are listening, and
I hope this gets heard by someone who will consider it, and heard in
time for 1.2 (1.3?). My apologies if this has been considered and
discarded, but I'd like to know why.

For the WorkBench, change the format for .info files. Instead of
having one per object, have one per directory, with all info for all
icons stored in that file. It will require a re-write of the Icon
editor (just slightly), a tool for moving icons in the file, and a
tool for converting old Icons to new ones. However it should make
opening drawers *MUCH* faster. You only have to get one file, and
don't have to do the glob search. Of course, before doing this, you
should instrument the WorkBench and make sure that that really is
where the time to open a drawer is going.

For AmigaDOS, add two things to the data structure for files. 1) an
"owner" field - a byte should do fine, a short would be nice for
future expansion. Second, double the protection bits to get
owner/non-owner sets. With what most people are liable to have, this
won't make much difference. But without some kind of protection, I
don't think it'll ever fly in a business market. After all, who's
going to put sensitive data on their hard disk if any
secretary/salesman can change it (you assume the programmers can
change it, and trust them :-)?

	Thanx,
	<mike

LAVITSKY@BLUE.RUTGERS.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/08/86)

From: Eric <LAVITSKY@BLUE.RUTGERS.EDU>

Hi,

 One other thing I'd really like to see in the next release of the
OS:

	The ability to boot off an external drive!

This should be a fairly trivial thing to do and presents many advantages.
Consider the following scenario:

	You use your Amiga to monitor a home intruder control system
or you use it to control your answering machine (Answermate?). While
you are away, the power goes out... when power is restored, the Amiga
sits there waiting for you to insert the Kickstart disk. You thought
of this ahead of time, so you left a Kickstart disk in the internal
drive... fine. Now after the OS is loaded, what happens? - now it
wants someone to be present to insert a Workbench disk in the internal
drive... luckily, the folks at Amiga modified the current OS to
sequentially search every drive on the system for a disk that it
can boot Workbench off of, and you left a Workbench disk with a
startup script to get your system going again in the external drive,
whew!

As far as I can tell, this is trivial to do - if the internal drive
isn't a Workbench disk and since you can tell from hardware registers
and messages whether a disk is inserted or not, you should easily
be able to go up the device chain looking for a Workbench. This *may*
even make it possible to boot of a hard disk! (???)

Let me know what you all think...

Thanks,
Eric
-------

lbg@gitpyr.UUCP (Lee B Grey) (02/10/86)

I'd like to see a new version of copy that copies (1) the filenote with
the file, and (most importantly!) (2) the date of the file's last mod.
I have little use for the date of the copying.  You can't tell how
up-to-date your backups are!  Am I alone in this?

Lee

acs@amdahl.UUCP (Tony Sumrall) (02/11/86)

In article <1233@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> LAVITSKY@BLUE.RUTGERS.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU writes:

>  One other thing I'd really like to see in the next release of the
> OS:
>
> 	The ability to boot off an external drive!
Even though I do *not* have an external drive (yet) I agree completely
(and, in fact, can't imagine who would disagree--so maybe this posting
is a bit meaningless).
--
Tony Sumrall                       ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,sun}!amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. or its employees. ]

acs@amdahl.UUCP (Tony Sumrall) (02/14/86)

In article <1362@gitpyr.UUCP> lbg@gitpyr.UUCP (Lee B Grey) writes:

> I'd like to see a new version of copy that copies (1) the filenote with
> the file, and (most importantly!) (2) the date of the file's last mod.
> I have little use for the date of the copying.  You can't tell how
> up-to-date your backups are!  Am I alone in this?
>
> Lee
No, you're not alone--I agree and (like I said in a previous posting) I
can't imagine anyone that would *not* agree so maybe this posting is
meaningless. :-)