[net.micro.amiga] Mandelbrot `Save Picture' fix and a riddle

edds@unc.UUCP (Tom Edds) (02/12/86)

      <this is not a line
           for the bug eater>

   I found out how to get the amazing Mandelbrot program (V2.01)
to save pictures in the IFF format that DeluxePaint wants.

   The problem lies not in creating the picture file itself, but
in trying to create an icon (.info file) to go with it. This is done
in mand7.c, around line 247, with a call to PutDiskObject.

   The fix I found is simply to comment out that call. This leaves you
without an icon for the image, but who uses those anyway? There is
probably a better fix, but I didn't think I'd find it, since I haven't
bought my ROM Kernel manuals yet.

  Does anybody know what the deal is with (purchasing) the new manuals?
From what I find in _Amazing Computing_, both Bantam and Addison-Wesley
are coming out with books. I've seen comments recently from other netters
(developers?) about the great new 1.1 Rom Kernel manuals. Are these the
Addison-Wesley edition? What are the latest rumors about shipping dates?

  Well, I see my bytes are about used up. First a quick Amiga riddle:
Try naming one of your disks DF0. Then stick it in the external drive,
and then type  list DF0:

  What do you think will happen? This one's empirically testable.

  Many thanks to all the folks who have been sweating and sharing to
help get the Amiga going!! What can we look forward to? Hi ho Silver...

  Tom Edds
  ...mcnc!unc!edds

#include <sys/disclaimer.h>
#define  CUTE_SIGNATURE

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (02/14/86)

>   Well, I see my bytes are about used up. First a quick Amiga riddle:
> Try naming one of your disks DF0. Then stick it in the external drive,
> and then type  list DF0:
>
>   What do you think will happen? This one's empirically testable.
>
>   Tom Edds
>   ...mcnc!unc!edds

What you may not know, is that the answer to this riddle is the answer
to the question "How can I run dpaint after booting my own workbench
diskette? (with preferences set the way the booted disk set them)"

--Chuck
--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

papa@uscvax.UUCP (Marco Papa) (02/15/86)

Tom Edds (...mcnc!unc!edds) writes:

>    I found out how to get the amazing Mandelbrot program (V2.01)
> to save pictures in the IFF format that DeluxePaint wants.
>
>    The problem lies not in creating the picture file itself, but
> in trying to create an icon (.info file) to go with it. This is done
> in mand7.c, around line 247, with a call to PutDiskObject.
>
>    The fix I found is simply to comment out that call. This leaves you
> without an icon for the image, but who uses those anyway? There is
> probably a better fix, but I didn't think I'd find it, since I haven't
> bought my ROM Kernel manuals yet.

This problem (and others, see later) was due to a bug in the 3.02 Lattice C
compiler.  Lattice C 3.03 fixes this (the icon is kind of a cute little
mandelbrot) andfixes  also the following problems in the mandelbrot code:

- sequentail assignements to floats (fixes where previously givem on the net)

- quitting to go back to the workbench (previously if one executed the mand
program from the workbench, Q(uitting) would lock the machine).

The following problems are still to be fixed:

- when executing Analize, one gets stuck and Exit from that screen does not
work. One has to reboot.

- when creating a 640x400 high-res image (mode 7), the image is created
correctly, but when one tries to invoke a menu the machine crashes with an
"out of Memory error" and Guru Meditation #04010003.4C500000

Marco Papa
USC - Computer Science Dept.

UUCP:	...!{decvax,ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!sdcrdcf!uscvax!papa
	...!{allegra,trwrb,trwspp,ism780,cithep,oberon}!uscvax!papa
CSNET:	papa@usc-cse.csnet
ARPA:	papa%usc-cse@csnet-relay.arpa