[net.micro.amiga] AmigaBasic questions

CC.KASSEBAUM@R20.UTEXAS.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/13/86)

From: CC.KASSEBAUM@R20.UTEXAS.EDU

	The following question about AmigaBasic came up at out last
	user group meeting.  Any answers?

	1) How to save graphic screens (windows) in AmigaBasic?

	2) A 'SHELL' command like the one in ABasic is really needed
	   in AmigaBasic.  Is there any way CLI commands can be issued
	   and the results gotten back to AmigaBasic?  Will a SHELL command
	   be added to AmigaBasic later?

-------

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (02/19/86)

> From: CC.KASSEBAUM@R20.UTEXAS.EDU
> 	The following question about AmigaBasic came up at out last
> 	user group meeting.  Any answers?
>
> 	1) How to save graphic screens (windows) in AmigaBasic?
>
> 	2) A 'SHELL' command like the one in ABasic is really needed
> 	   in AmigaBasic.  Is there any way CLI commands can be issued
> 	   and the results gotten back to AmigaBasic?  Will a SHELL command
> 	   be added to AmigaBasic later?

The answer to number one is not easy, probably the best way to save a graphic
screen is to use the GET command to put it into an array and then write the
array out to a file. You could then restore it with a PUT. There is no
way that I know of to save the entire screen.

For number 2 a simple workaround is to move the BASIC window out of the way
and then open a CLI window. Execute your CLI command and redirect its output
into a file. Then use a short BASIC program to load it into memory or a
data array. I am not sure what 'SHELL' offers (since I only have AmigaBASIC)
but one should note that some operating system things can be done from
BASIC. (like directorys with the FILES command 'frinstance)

--Chuck

--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my