[net.micro.amiga] Questions...

CC.KASSEBAUM@R20.UTEXAS.EDU (10/16/85)

From: CC.KASSEBAUM@R20.UTEXAS.EDU

	A friend with an Amiga called yesterday and ask me to make
	following inquiries

	1)  How do you list a directory to the printer.  He has been able
	    to print in ABasic.
	2)  Has anybody been able to use the Amiga as a terminal.
	3)  How do you setup other serial parameters (i.e. parity, word size,
	    DTR usage, etc).  Only baud is in the preferences.
	4)  What other drivers does the Amiga know about.

	Regards,	Don K
-------

wen_b@h-sc1.UUCP (alvin wen) (10/17/85)

> 	3)  How do you setup other serial parameters (i.e. parity, word size,
> 	    DTR usage, etc).  Only baud is in the preferences.

        I've been puzzling over this myself in an effort to get communications
set up between my Amiga and a Vax 11-780 running UNIX; as far as I can tell,
the only way to set up serial parameters and etc. is to pore through your
developer documentation, find nothing, and then discover serial.h and serial.i
on your developer disks, and write a C program to setparams.
        It has been little comfort that when my Amiga is copying from RAW: to
SER: and simultaneously (don't you love it!) from SER: to *, it copies the
latter in 400 byte chunks.  This is not really all that interactive....
        Oh, by the way, I copy from RAW: and not from  * or CON: because the
Amiga seems never to send carriage returns, sending only linefeeds instead.

        And if you are not a developer, there is an earlier posted message
giving the address of a company which sells a terminal emulation program; I
am calling them straightaway.

                             Alvin Wen
                             YAAD....

wen_b@h-sc1.UUCP (alvin wen) (10/18/85)

> 	1)  How do you list a directory to the printer.  He has been able
> 	    to print in ABasic.

        Have you tried
                        list > prt:          ?
        (or should it be list > prn: ....  Hmmm...)

S7YLF4%IRISHMVS@WISCVM.WISC.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/10/86)

From: S7YLF4%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

I don't have the AmigaDOS manuals either, so here's a question that
may also be stupid:

Is there a 'terminate'-type command to terminate a task running
outside a particular CLI?  (For instance, from CLI 1 could I
get rid of a task running in CLI 2?)  This would be useful in
situations where there's a "master" CLI using RUN to create tasks
in other CLIs, and to trash them.

nj

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (02/11/86)

In article <1240@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> S7YLF4%IRISHMVS@WISCVM.WISC.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU writes:
>From: S7YLF4%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
>
>Is there a 'terminate'-type command to terminate a task running
>outside a particular CLI?

The closest thing that exists is the BREAK command.
	Syntax:   BREAK task {all|c|d|e|f}

Break sets a signal bit(s) for the task in question.  It is the responsibility
if the "breaking" task to check these bits from time to time, cleanup and
exit if one is found.  AmigaDOS dows NOT keep track of resources in use by a
given task and therefore if a task was halted (without its active cooperation
all memory, files, devices, ... would remain "in use".
-bruce barrett

ma168abq@sdcc7.UUCP (Daniel T. Lau) (02/14/86)

> I don't have the AmigaDOS manuals either, so here's a question that
> may also be stupid:
Buy the damn manuals.

> Is there a 'terminate'-type command to terminate a task running
> outside a particular CLI?  (For instance, from CLI 1 could I
> get rid of a task running in CLI 2?)  This would be useful in
> situations where there's a "master" CLI using RUN to create tasks
> in other CLIs, and to trash them.

Oh yes, the way to interrupt a running task is similar to the way
you do it in UNIX, except on the Amiga it is

<CONTROL> <AMIGA> <AMIGA> (All at the same time)

Please curtail the amount of stupid questions you ask in the future.
:-)

Dan Lao

gary@ssc-vax.UUCP (Gary J Albert) (02/19/86)

> > I don't have the AmigaDOS manuals either, so here's a question that
> > may also be stupid:
> Buy the damn manuals.
>

> > Is there a 'terminate'-type command to terminate a task running
> > outside a particular CLI?  (For instance, from CLI 1 could I
> > get rid of a task running in CLI 2?)  This would be useful in
> > situations where there's a "master" CLI using RUN to create tasks
> > in other CLIs, and to trash them.
> >

> Oh yes, the way to interrupt a running task is similar to the way
> you do it in UNIX, except on the Amiga it is
>
> <CONTROL> <AMIGA> <AMIGA> (All at the same time)
>
> Please curtail the amount of stupid questions you ask in the future.
> :-)
>
> Dan Lao

	I don't know about everyone else but this type of response to
	a request seems to me to be unwarrented.  In my view, this kind
	of request is one of the major purposes of this news group
	considering the newness of the product.  I really hate to see
	anything that will cause people to hesitate to ask 'dumb'
	questions or worse yet answer them.  If the above was meant with
	'tongue in cheek' then I apolagize but maybe it should be a little
	more obvious.

	Now, down off the soapbox.  Please, everyone, ask all the dumb
	questions that come to mind.  I personally have learned a lot
	from these questions and the responses.  Let's keep this
	information exchange working.

			Gary Albert
			Boeing Aerospace Co.
			ssc-vax!gary