[net.micro.amiga] Okimate 20 Info Needed

star@fluke.UUCP (David Whitlock) (02/16/86)

Has anyone out there had any track record with the Okimate 20.  I just got
one and so far, I seem to regret my decision.

Here are the problems encountered so far.

	1.	Color printouts have the dark overlapping pixels (dots)
		which looks like someone took a good photo and ran it
		through a bread slicer then attempted to repaste it.

		The manual claims that there is a switch on the interface
		card that is set by the factory to do this so that a
		white line does not show. (Some how, I like the white line
		so that I can use my crayols to color in the slices!)

	2.	The printer head seems very fragial.  After only 10
		full page printouts in BW, I'm starting to loose rows
		and rows of dots.  After cleaning of the head, still
		no luck.

Am I being too critical, do I have a lemon, or is the Okimate a good limited
use cheap color printer?

I need so life history...

--
Dave Whitlock

        {decvax!microsof,uw-beaver,ssc-vax,allegra,lbl-csam}!fluke!star

--John Fluke Mfg. Co., 33031 Schoolcraft Road, Livonia, MI 48150

daveb@amiga.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (02/20/86)

In article <3096@vax4.fluke.UUCP>, star@fluke.UUCP (David Whitlock) writes:
> Has anyone out there had any track record with the Okimate 20.  I just got
> one and so far, I seem to regret my decision.
>
> Here are the problems encountered so far.
>
> 	1.	Color printouts have the dark overlapping pixels (dots)
> 		which looks like someone took a good photo and ran it
> 		through a bread slicer then attempted to repaste it.
>
> 		The manual claims that there is a switch on the interface
> 		card that is set by the factory to do this so that a
> 		white line does not show. (Some how, I like the white line
> 		so that I can use my crayols to color in the slices!)

	If you contact Okimate Customer Service (try 609-235-2600);
they will explain to you that there is an eprom that is either
a) already in your printer or b) you can get for your printer
that enables you to choose between overlapping lines and
white lines during graphic dumps via a switch (#5 I think)
on the interface card.

	For your info; the problem you are having is due to the play in
the paper advance mechanism. Usually the printers tend to print
white spaces and the fix is to print overlapping lines, so it
sounds to me like you already have the eprom and that you need
to flip the switch. This will cause the printer to advance 23
lines for every 24 it prints or 24 for 24 if you have the switch
in the other position. Good Luck!

	Regards, David Berezowski (CBM/AMIGA East Coast)