[net.micro.amiga] VT100 Emulator

daveb@amiga.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (02/13/86)

(go ahead, make my day!)

 (**** WARNING, SOMEWHAT COMMERCIAL*****)

        I've received a lot of mail messages in my responce to the
possibility of a multi-user BBS on an AMIGA. It seems that there
is a lot of interest in the VT100 emulator I spoke of. I post this
message here for two reasons:

1. At the moment we are unable to directly respond to a lot of mail
   messages (sorry).

2. This appears to be of general interest.

        The VT100 emulator I spoke of will be a commercial product from
CBM/AMIGA called AmigaTerm which (I estimate) 'should' be out by the
end of March.

Notable features include:

- support of all the VT100 character sets (UK, USA, SPC GFX, ALT ROM
  and ALT ROM SPC GFX) in both 80 and 128 column modes.
- actual throughput of over 9000 baud
- XMODEM, COMPU-SERVE B, and NONE file transfer protocols
- capture buffer, view/print file, etc.

        I do not know what the suggested retail price will be. Please note
that I make this posting for general information's sake and not as a
commercial plug for Commodore. Good luck on all your coding!

        Regards, David Berezowski (CBM/AMIGA East Coast)

fnf@unisoft.UUCP (Fred Fish) (02/14/86)

In article <685@amiga.amiga.UUCP> daveb@amiga.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) writes:
(about transfer protocols)
> - XMODEM, COMPU-SERVE B, and NONE file transfer protocols

I would really like to see some support for KERMIT.  I have had no end of
problems trying to use XMODEM (witness the proliferation of programs to
fix your files after XMODEM has munged them during a binary transfer).

-Fred

atoy@watnot.UUCP (Andy Toy) (02/18/86)

In article <685@amiga.amiga.UUCP> daveb@amiga.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) writes:
>        The VT100 emulator I spoke of will be a commercial product from
>CBM/AMIGA called AmigaTerm...etc...
>Notable features include:
>- support of all the VT100 character sets (UK, USA, SPC GFX, ALT ROM
>  and ALT ROM SPC GFX) in both 80 and 128 column modes.
                                       ^^^
Do you mean 132 column mode or does this mean that it will only support
128 columns thus not being compatible with the VT100's 132 column mode.
Another question about it:  If I do a "SET TERMINAL/WIDTH=132" from my
VAX/VMS 4.2, will AmigaTerm recognize all the escape sequences that the
VAX sends to switch the VT100 into 132 column mode?  Also will it support
all of DEC's <CSI> and <DCS> control sequences for the VT100? The reason
that I ask is that all the VT100 emulators that I have don't seem to do
all of the things the same way that the DEC does and it's rather annoying
having to write up a new termcap for an emulator that's supposedly
compatible.

BTW, the other features sound good.  How about throwing in KERMIT protocol
too?

--
  Andy Toy, Mapping Analysis and Design Group (MAD),
  Faculty of Environmental Studies, University of Waterloo,

hardie@sask.UUCP (Peter Hardie ) (02/18/86)

> I would really like to see some support for KERMIT.  I have had no end of
> problems trying to use XMODEM (witness the proliferation of programs to
> fix your files after XMODEM has munged them during a binary transfer).
>
> -Fred

I second the motion. I have implemented a really awful kermit in the
amigaterm program that was posted a while ago. It is very limited in what it ca
do and if the slightest thing goes wrong it hangs. Anybody got a better one?
PLEASE?

Pete Hardie
ihnp4!sask!hardie

daveb@amiga.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (02/19/86)

In article <11492@watnot.UUCP>, atoy@watnot.UUCP (Andy Toy) writes:
> Do you mean 132 column mode or does this mean that it will only support
> 128 columns thus not being compatible with the VT100's 132 column mode.
> Another question about it:  If I do a "SET TERMINAL/WIDTH=132" from my
> VAX/VMS 4.2, will AmigaTerm recognize all the escape sequences that the
> VAX sends to switch the VT100 into 132 column mode?  Also will it support
> all of DEC's <CSI> and <DCS> control sequences for the VT100? The reason
> that I ask is that all the VT100 emulators that I have don't seem to do
> all of the things the same way that the DEC does and it's rather annoying
> having to write up a new termcap for an emulator that's supposedly
> compatible.

1. The 132 column mode of a VT100 has been implemented as a 128 column mode
   (as if it were the 132 column mode, ie. set term/width=132 works).
   128 columns were chosen as 640/5 = 128 and 640/4 = 160. I made a font
   that was 4 pixels wide (3 pixels/char plus 1 pixel for spacing) but
   it was just too small to read. Even the 5 pixel wide font isn't the
   greatest but it is fairly readable. I have tried some 132 column
   software and it seems to work ok. I find that the command (in VMS)
   'set term/width=128' works quite well.

2. With the exception of the commands listed below, all cmds of a
   DEC VT100 have been implemented (to the best of my knowledge).

   - change top half of line to double-height ( ESC # 3 )
   - change bottom half of line to double-height ( ESC # 4 )
   - change line to single-width single-height (DEFAULT) ( ESC # 5 )
   - change line to double-width single-height ( ESC # 6 )

   - all LEDs off and L1, L2, L3, L4 on ( ESC [ Ps q )

   - smooth scrolling ( ESC [ ? 4 h )
   - jump scrolling (DEFAULT) ( ESC [ ? 4 l )

   - auto repeat off ( ESC [ ? 8 l )
   - auto repeat on (DEFAULT) ( ESC [ ? 8 h )

   - interlace on ( ESC [ ? 9 h )
   - interlace off (DEFAULT) ( ESC [ ? 9 l )

   - fill screen with E's ( ESC # 8 )
   - invoke test(s) (1,2,4,8) ( ESC [ 2 ; Ps y )
   - blink on attribute ( ESC [ 5 m )
   - report/request terminal parameters ( ESC [ <sol> x )

	As I said before, since this is going to be a commercial product
	from CBM/AMIGA, I am unable to make it available gratis. Those
	people tuning in late may wish to know that this whole discussion
	started when I said that I thought it was possible for a 3-5 user
	1200 baud BBS on an AMIGA. My reasoniong for this was that I had
	written a full VT100 terminal emulator that has a THROUGHPUT of
	over 9000 baud. Hope that I've answered all your questions.

	Regards, David Berezowski (CBM/AMIGA East Coast)

bees@infoswx.UUCP (02/20/86)

I second the motion to offer kermit in addition to xmodem in your
AmigaTerm.  Unless you have kermit, or unless your xmodem is smart
enough to fix itself (get rid of trailing nulls in the last block
sent), I won't want to use it.  Xmodem is about the sorriest excuse
for a transfer protocol I've ever had the displeasure to work with.

Also, please add VT102 features like insert line and delete line.

Ray Davis

kenk@pilchuckDataio.UUCP (Ken Koster) (02/22/86)

My apolgies for posting this to the net, but our site refuses to mail
direct.

		******** Please Please ,.....Please *******

	Have whoever is developing the VT100 emulator add KERMIT to
     the list of supported protocols. Not only is it more reliable,
     every machine I have access to supports KERMIT, few (none) support
     XMODEM.

 Ken Koster
 --------->  uw-beaver!teltone!dataio!pilchuck!kenk