[net.sf-lovers] A Star Trek Rumor?

pugh@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (10/11/85)

From: "pugh jon%b.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA

In the flier for the Creation Con in Palo Alto this month they are saying
that their guest, Roger C Carmel (aka Harry Mudd) may be in ST IV.  Any
other news from the Star Trek network?

hester@UCI-ICSE.ARPA (10/16/85)

From: Jim Hester <hester@UCI-ICSE.ARPA>

At the Con in Los Angeles (Universal City) on Oct 13, the only comments
by Leonard Nimoy were that the next movie would be the end of a trilogy
beginning with STII, and thus it would take up with the characters on
Vulcan with a Klingon ship.  The multiple Star Fleet charges against
Kirk & Co will be dealt with.

Leonard said that, as STIII evidenced, they are trying to return to the
old spirit of Star Trek, with some humor.  He did not say the Enterprise
would return, but his remarks on the subject (I can't remember quotes)
were VERY positive.  Madgel (sp?) Barret-Roddenberry remarked on the
unlikiness of the Enterprise crew touring the Universe in one of the
new "pregnant guppies."

Nimoy remarked that he would like to see a return of Harry Mudd (James
Doohan has also said this in the past).  He also mentioned Tribbles and
something else as possible future subjects.  A rumor among the fans was
that STIV involves time travel, but Nimoy only commented that "that
might be interesting."  In general, all the questions about the next
movie can be summed up as follows:

Q: Will X happen in STIV?
A: That would be interesting.

Q: Will X be appearing in STIV?
A: That would be nice.

Q: Will STIV deal with the issue of X?
A: That's an issue we may have to give some thought to.

The major thrust of Nimoy's talk was the fact that he does not now, or
ever did, want to be disassociated with Spock.  The rumors that he
required (in his contract for STII) that Sock die are completely false.
In fact, it was not even his idea; someone called him up one day and
asked "How would you like a fantastic death scene?"  The rumor about
the contract was so strong that the producer of Paramount Studios
believed it and at one point, without even checking the contract
(located in the very building he was in), dismissed Nimoy as the
director of STIII on the grounds that anyone who wanted his character
killed could not be strongly enough in love with Star Trek to do an
acceptable job directing.  The book "I am not Spock" is titled thus
only because they wanted a short, catchy title with the word "Spock" in
it, and that title was the title of one of the chapters in the book.
(That chapter, also, did not disown Spock.  I forget the exact meaning
of the title.)

Nimoy is one hell of a speaker.  If you get the chance, DON'T MISS HIM!

sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) (10/18/85)

In article <3995@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, pugh@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU writes:
> From: "pugh jon%b.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
>

> In the flier for the Creation Con in Palo Alto this month they are saying
> that their guest, Roger C Carmel (aka Harry Mudd) may be in ST IV.  Any
> other news from the Star Trek network?

When and where is Creation Con?

					Scott A. Stewart
					LMSC - Sunnyvale