[net.sf-lovers] Gormenghast

stever@cit-vax (05/21/85)

From: stever@cit-vax (Steve Rabin  )

Yes, the cover artwork is excellent.  So are the books.  I heard
somewhere that Sting has the movie rights for these books.  Does
anyone know more about this?

-s

milne@uci-icse (05/22/85)

From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>

   Yes, the cover artwork is excellent.  So are the books.  I heard
   somewhere that Sting has the movie rights for these books.  Does
   anyone know more about this?

   -s

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

   The cover art is very good, but I cannot begin to agree about the books.
   "Ghormenghast" is 50 (on a good day) pages of action stuffed into 500 pages
   of print.  By "action" I mean anything at all happening.  I slogged
   doggedly through to the very end, and felt as if I'd emerged from quicksand
   at last to stand on solid ground again.  I skipped the reveries in the
   banquet scene, though.  I'm sorry, they were just impossible: at least 2
   pages of reverie per character, with no punctuation.  More than I could
   stand.  And the rest of the book moves with little more speed than they do.

   How could you make a movie of it?  What is there to show?

   Alastair Milne

carlton@masscomp.UUCP (Carlton Hommel) (05/25/85)

I assume what is being discussed is the Gormenghast Trilogy, by Mervyn Peake.
It consists of _Titus Groan_, _Gormenghast_, and _Titus Alone_.  My copy lists
an original publication date of 1946, with a reissue in 1967.

In article <2055@topaz.ARPA>  Alastair Milne writes:
>   The cover art is very good.
You guys must be talking about a reissue.  I have the Ballantine 1968 printing,
with a blotchy read, white, and green cover.  I'm glad to see the covers have
been improved upon.

>   "Ghormenghast" is 50 (on a good day) pages of action stuffed into 500 pages
>   of print.  By "action" I mean anything at all happening.
I think you missed the point of the book.  Peake is primarily a poet and an
illustrator.  He didn't set out to write a rousing tale of action adventure;
he was using the written word to capture the essence of characters he had
already drawn.  I feel very sorry for you if your copies do not have his
sketches.  First editions of the Ballantine release had a center insert of
eight glossy pages of his work.  Later editions relied solely on untextured,
black ink sketches.

Granted, some parts of the novels were downright dull to a 17 yr old.  I
found the _Titus Alone_ a grave dissapointment after _Gormenghast_.  But
I imagine that upon rereading, I will find new things to marvel over.

Some truely great writers have their own styles.  Heinlein writes of the
supercompetent, Anthony of the adolescent.  Vance writes travelogues,
Asprin writes comedies.  Decrying Peake for lack of "action-adventure"
is like depreciating Hogan for lack of "love interest."

>   How could you make a movie of it?  What is there to show?
Lots of scenes stand out in my mind.  The Great Fire.  Barquentine chastising
Steerpike.  The great chase leading to Steerpike's capture.  The imprisioning
of the twins, Cora and Clarise.  The Countess and her birds.  The home life
of the Prunesquallors.  Flay's kitchen.  The Schoolroom.  And, of course, the
main character, Gormenghast Castle.

Dune suffered in its translation to the screen because they tried to pack
400 pages of action into a two hour movie.  If we extend your 500/50 thought,
we find from 150 - 200 pages of action for the entire trilogy.  Just about
what the serialization of Star Wars ran to. :-)

Dune also suffered from an attack of excessive costume design, which took
liberties with the novel.  No need to experement with Ghormenghast; Peake
already described each characted in meticulous detail.

	Carl Hommel
Husband: Bibliography is not my business.
Wife:  How do you explain the 4000 volumes upstairs?

stever%cit-vlsi@cit-vax.ARPA (09/24/85)

From: stever%cit-vlsi@cit-vax.ARPA (Steve Rabin  )

Although I wimped out in the middle of the second volume, Peake's
style was really inspiring.  The richness of the stuff made me pause.
I know i will come back and finish it off sometime soon.

Rolling Stone's special on Sting mentioned that he has the movie rights
to Gormenghast.  Gormenghast would make an excellent movie!

Steve

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (09/25/85)

stever%cit-vlsi@cit-vax.ARPA (Steve Rabin) writes:
> Although I wimped out in the middle of the second volume, Peake's
> style was really inspiring.  The richness of the stuff made me pause.

I read all three volumes, waiting throughout for something to happen.
It seemed like a million exciting threads were all left untied and
unresolved.  It was magnetic, but gave back nothing for the attraction.

> Rolling Stone's special on Sting mentioned that he has the movie rights
> to Gormenghast.  Gormenghast would make an excellent movie!

Gormenghast would make the same kind of movie that Dune and LOTR did.
Bad.  It would have to be skeletal, rushed, different, and unsatisfactory.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (10/10/85)

stever%cit-vlsi@cit-vax.ARPA says:
>Although I wimped out in the middle of the second volume, Peake's
>style was really inspiring.  The richness of the stuff made me pause.
>I know i will come back and finish it off sometime soon.
>
>Rolling Stone's special on Sting mentioned that he has the movie rights
>to Gormenghast.  Gormenghast would make an excellent movie!

Gormenghast would make a *lousy* movie!  It would have to be about 2
weeks long just to get half the story line in.  Maybe you better go
back and read the rest of the trilogy before you decide whether or not
it would make a good movie.

As a set of books, it was okay, interesting, rather ponderous, but
imaginative.  As a movie it would be really out of place.

(Just my $.02 worth...)

--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
                                                   ihnp4!nrcvax!terry
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry

wombat@ccvaxa.UUCP (10/18/85)

/* Written  6:42 pm  Oct  9, 1985 by terry@nrcvax.UUCP in ccvaxa:net.sf-lovers */
As a set of books, [Gormenghast] was okay, interesting, rather ponderous, but
imaginative.  As a movie it would be really out of place.

/* End of text from ccvaxa:net.sf-lovers */

I disagree. The Gormenghast books are very visual. Peake was also an
illustrator and it really shows. Reading along you develop clear pictures of
the various characters and scenes. I claim that part of the reason it reads
so slowly is that the brain is working overtime developing detailed
pictures. It would not be an easy movie to make, and it would probably have
to be done in parts to be good, but a faithful version would be wonderful.

"When you are about to die, a wombat is better than no company at all."
				Roger Zelazny, *Doorways in the Sand*

						Wombat
					ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!wombat