[net.micro.amiga] Uncivilized comments

stever@videovax.UUCP (Steven E. Rice) (02/20/86)

In article <264@sdcc7.UUCP> ma168abq@sdcc7.UUCP (Daniel T. Lau) writes:

> Please curtail the amount of stupid questions you ask in the future.
> :-)
>
> Dan Lao

Come on, come on!  Let's at least *pretend* to be civilized on the net.
This kind of comment is uncalled for at any time -- especially when
communicating with people of widely varying skill levels on an open
network.  If a "stupid" question raises your blood pressure, just
type "n".

					Steve Rice

{ihnp4 | uw-beaver | hplabs | decvax}!tektronix!videovax!stever

jec@iuvax.UUCP (02/23/86)

	Give the poor guy a break.  It was obviously in jest (note the
:-) side-ways smiley).  The only mistake the guy made was assuming everyone
knew the smiley convention on Usenet.

James E. Conley			Usenet: {ihnp4,pur-ee,purdue}!iuvax!jec
I.U. Dept. of Linguistics	Phone:	(812) 335-8702 [Work]
401 Lindley Hall			(812) 333-6702 [Home]
Bloomington, IN. 47405

stever@videovax.UUCP (Steven E. Rice) (03/04/86)

In article <41000011@iuvax.UUCP>, James E. Conley (jec@iuvax.UUCP) writes:

> 	Give the poor guy a break.  It was obviously in jest (note the
> :-) side-ways smiley).  The only mistake the guy made was assuming everyone
> knew the smiley convention on Usenet.

As one of those who objected to the original posting (which labelled the
requestor "stupid"), I would like to object again!  The mistake the guy
made was calling the person who asked a low-level question "stupid".

We are on a network that is transmitted all over the world,
communicating between people we can never hope to know.  Smiley or no
smiley, to call a person you know only by a 100-word message "stupid"
is an abuse of courtesy and an abridgement of the fundamental idea behind
the network in the first place -- to get people into communication with
each other.

Please -- confine the cutesy-isms (such as, "Hi, fatso!" and "Hello,
stupid.") to mail communications with people you know well.  Let's respect
the feelings of others and show that respect by communicating courteously!