[net.micro.amiga] PC for WP

jeffh@plx.UUCP (Jeff Huntington) (02/27/86)

*** LINE REPLACED ***

I am trying to select an "adequate" personal computer for doing word
processing, and I wish to tap the vast pool of experience out there in
net.land.  In specifying the requirements, adequate is the keywork - so I
better define it.  The intended use is for a "Poor College Student" to
write term papers.  The student is currently using an electric
typewriter.  What is desired, is a machine that will allow the student do
better work (by making additional revisions less of a chore)  and save
time (by making the current revision cycles go quicker).  A spelling
checker would be a nice plus, but not essential.  Keyboard "feel" and
layout is not a prime consideration for this application.  Low cost is
certainly a key consideration - the goal if to find the cheapest machine
that will do the job.

Other considerations that come to mind are reliability and 64 column
(min.) capability.  There might be other important considerations, but I
can't think of any.  Remember, the two important considerations are
adequate and price.  Since I know very little about the PC world, I could
be overlooking some important considerations.  If I am, I would
appreciate hearing about them.

OK, let's see your recommendations - thanks in advance.

jeffh at Plexus

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (03/05/86)

In article <186@plx.UUCP> jeffh@plx.UUCP writes:
>*** LINE REPLACED ***
>
>I am trying to select an "adequate" personal computer for doing word
>processing, and I wish to tap the vast pool of experience out there in
.
.
.
>certainly a key consideration - the goal if to find the cheapest machine
>that will do the job.
>

>OK, let's see your recommendations - thanks in advance.
>
>jeffh at Plexus

	Find any one of the thousands of computers of all breeds that are now
sitting on somebody's shelf gathering dust because the owner doesn't have time
to learn how to use it. Look for one that the owner aleady has Wordstar or
Word (or any other prominent word processing program - but make sure it's one
of the biggies - save yourself a hassle) and make an offer for the
whole shebang. Chances are you can find someone who just wants to get rid
of the machine they never used anyway. Try an ad in a local business-paper.
There are a lot of people out there who have computers in some closet somewhere
and not only are they not going to learn to use it, they don't even care
enough to try to sell it - you have to find them. But a little exertion can
save some big bucks.

--
					--MKR

If Man were meant to use the metric system, Jesus would have had
10 disciples.