[net.micro.amiga] Copy protection schemes

dave@heurikon.UUCP (Dave Scidmore) (03/04/86)

	I have heard the term "key disk copy protection" thrown around here
in a few articles. Does anyone know what this protection scheme is? I can't
think of very many copy protection schemes that a raw track read and write
could not circumvent. I would be interested to know how people like EA copy
protect disks.

						Dave Scidmore

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (03/06/86)

In article <153@heurikon.UUCP> dave@heurikon.UUCP (Dave Scidmore) writes:
>	I have heard the term "key disk copy protection" thrown around here
>in a few articles. Does anyone know what this protection scheme is? I can't

   A program using a key disk requires that a special disk,
called the "key disk", or "master disk", be present for the
program to run.  The key disk may be removed once the program has
verified it.  Thus, if you have a hard disk, for example, you may
copy the program to the hard disk, and run of there, only
inserting the floppy when you start the program.

   If the manufacturer is reasonable, and you start the program without
the key disk, it will ask for it, verify it, and then eject it.  If the
manufacturer is a jerk ( Electronic Arts ), the program will just crash
the system.

   I complained to EA about this, and they told me that it was a feature.
( This is on the Mac.  I don't know what they do with their Amiga stuff ).
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim