[net.micro.amiga] Archives on TRANTOR.UMD.EDU

louie@trantor.UMD.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (03/07/86)

From: Louis A. Mamakos <louie@trantor.UMD.EDU>

   Date:  Tue, 04 Mar 86 19:51:31 EST
   From: George S. Musser Jr.
     <CC004049%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
   Subj:  Archives

   I'd like to access the source code at TRANTOR, but being a BITNETter, I don't
   know how.  Can someone drop me brief instructions or point me in the right
   direction?  Much 'preciated.

   George

As keeper of the archives on TRANTOR.UMD.EDU, let me say a few words...  The
intent of the archive was to allow access by Internet sites via anonymous
FTP.  Currently, the archives of the INFO-AMIGA@RED.RUTGERS.EDU mailing list
reside there, as well as selected messages off of the list, and some items
from net.sources.  This machine doesn't have a direct UUCP or BITNET
connection, so that manual intervention is required to get materials from
either of those networks to TRANTOR.UMD.EDU.  I don't mind grabbing stuff
off of net.sources (or net.source.games) to put into the archive, but I
don't have the time or resources to redistribute anything to folks without
an Internet connections.

People on USENET probably have seen everything that I have.  People on
BITNET and the INFO-AMIGA mailing list miss out on net.sources and other
USENET newgroups.  I hopefully have provided the material to the
INFO-AMIGA list.  If someone on BITNET would like to setup some sort
of distribution point, I think I could workout a one-time transfer of
what I have.  I have in mind something along the lines of the KERMSERV
virtual machine at Columbia that you can send messages to requesting
that files be sent to your site.  If you can do something along these
lines, let me know.  My intent is to get this stuff to as many people
as possible.

In the coming weeks, I hope to have the collection of "Fish Disks" available
for FTP from TRANTOR.UMD.EDU.  When my order of floppies arrive, and I'm
satisfied that the new 800MB disk on TRANTOR.UMD.EDU is working ok, this
stuff will start to appear.  I'd like to thank Fred Fish for all his efforts
in making this software available.

There is currently the FIRST distribution of HACK (from net.sources) on
TRANTOR.UMD.EDU in the /info-amiga/hack directory.  When the second one
arrives here (from net.sources.games), it will replace the original one.

To access these files connect to the FTP server on TRANTOR.UMD.EDU (128.8.0.14)
and use "anonymous" login, with any password.  All of the files are in
the directory "/info-amiga".  Some files may be compressed; these are
identified by having a ".Z" suffix on the file name.  You can use the
"compress" program (also in this file) to restore them.  Please restrict
access to non prime-time hours.  This machine actually does real work
during the day; please help keep the load on the machine AND the various
networks and gateways down during the day.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
  University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming