[net.micro.amiga] Key Disk Copy Protection

moore@ncsc@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (03/07/86)

From: Jim Moore <moore@ncsc>

Key disk copy protection forces the user to have the original system disk in
the disk drive during certain calls, usually when invoking the program. Lotus
used this on the first version of 1-2-3 (I don't know about the current version).
It's also used on VP Planner (Osborne publishing). There's an *excellent*
article on copy protection schemes (and their shortcomings) in this either the
Dec 85 or Jan 86 PC Tech Journal.  I can hear the comments already: some of us
are still stuck with using IBM stuff. Sigh.

jim moore
-------

CC004049%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (03/07/86)

From: George S. Musser Jr.

Jim Moore wrote:
>Key disk copy protection forces the user to have the original system disk in
>the disk drive during certain calls, usually when invoking the program.

But what is the mechanism that forces the original key disk to be
used?  That is, what prevents me from copying the disk, track
by track?

George