[net.micro.amiga] Lattice v3.03

DEC.BANKS@MARLBORO.DEC.COM@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/28/86)

From: Dawn Banks <DEC.BANKS@MARLBORO.DEC.COM>

    This is mainly directed towards the folks at Amiga, but just in case any
of the rest of you know the answer (or share the question):

    Last fall, after being treated a bit rudely by Amiga while trying to order
a developer's kit, we ordered and received a developer's kit through our happy
local Amiga dealer.  On receipt of the kit, we tore out all the cards in the
back of the manuals, filled them out (and anything else that looked like a
registration card), and sent them into Amiga.  My question is: are we going
to receive a free 3.03 update and/or updated ROM Kernal manuals, or are we
going to get a deal on them for having previously laid out the bucks, or are
we to be screwed?  If so when, etc?  (No malice in my voice, just curious).

     Thanks, etc.
   --------

ridder%warlok.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (03/01/86)

From: ridder%warlok.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM  (Hans)

Date: 28 Feb 1986 0915-MST
From: Hans <RIDDER at WARLOK>
To: "info-amiga@red.rutgers.edu" at DECWRL
Subject: Re: Lattice v3.03

    I too have a similar question for the folks at Amiga.  When I
bought my manuals at my friendly local dealer I didn't even get a
ROM Kernal manual.  Instead I received a "mail-in" card which said
something to the like: "To complete your set of manuals, send this
card in for your copy of the NEW ROM Kernal manual".  So with my
mouth watering in anticipation, I filled out the card, dropped it
in a nearby mailbox.  That was about 6 weeks ago.  My anticipation
has since died down.

    Any idea when Amiga plans to send me one?  It's pretty hard to
write code without a ROM Kernal manual....

-hans
   --------

In article <1398@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> DEC.BANKS@MARLBORO.DEC.COM@caip.RUTGERS.EDU writes:
>    Last fall, after being treated a bit rudely by Amiga while trying to order
>a developer's kit, we ordered and received a developer's kit through our happy
>local Amiga dealer.  On receipt of the kit, we tore out all the cards in the
>back of the manuals, filled them out (and anything else that looked like a
>registration card), and sent them into Amiga.  My question is: are we going
>to receive a free 3.03 update and/or updated ROM Kernal manuals, or are we
>going to get a deal on them for having previously laid out the bucks, or are
>we to be screwed?  If so when, etc?  (No malice in my voice, just curious).
>     Thanks, etc.

I wondered the same thing a while back, but shortly thereafter received
an upgrade kit that included the 3.03 'C', new assembler and Wack disk along
with the 2 volume Rom Kernel Manual (note some people seem to have received
a one volume phone book version that seems to be the same manuals in a single
book.)  However, about a week before I received the upgrades, I had posted
a message very similar to yours on the Amiga Tech Support BBS.  So, I don't
know for sure that it's automatic, it could be a 'squeaky wheel' syndrome,
I don't know.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

hr@uicsl.UUCP (03/07/86)

RE:
	">to receive a free 3.03 update and/or updated ROM Kernal manuals,.."

	"I wondered the same thing a while back,... I don't know for sure
	that it's automatic, it could be a 'squeaky wheel' syndrome,..."

I received my system on DEC 4. About a month after the local dealer gave
out the upgrades to his customers, I got mine from Commodore. I'd never
squeak. Whine & wimper maybe, but never squeak.

A couple of questions.

I also received a letter from Commodore saying that if I took the letter
to my dealer, I could receive an upgrade. Does this mean I could have
gotten two V1.1 kickstarts?

Also, is there someway to influence Commodore's decision to grant Amiga
dealerships? At our last user's group meeting, several of us mentioned
how much we disliked our authorized Amiga dealer. We have an authorized
Commodore dealer in town that would like to become an authorized Amiga
dealer. The Commodore dealer has been trying to help (copying kickstart
disks for out of staters). The Amiga dealer has been alienating as many
people as possible. Apparently, he would rather sell Macs at university
discounts than Amigas at list.
----

	harold ravlin		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr