[net.sf-lovers] Vonnegut

pugh@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (10/16/85)

From: "pugh jon%b.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA

That story where everyone must be equal, so they dropped everyone to the
worst case was Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I saw a show on PBS years { & years } ago that had all this as seen by
a time traveling space fellow.  I think he was bopping from story to story,
but, as I said, it was a long time ago.  Anyone else remember this show/movie?

Jon

ehn0@bunny.UUCP (Eric Nyberg) (10/16/85)

> From: "pugh jon%b.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
>
> That story where everyone must be equal, so they dropped everyone to the
> worst case was Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
>
> I saw a show on PBS years { & years } ago that had all this as seen by
> a time traveling space fellow.  I think he was bopping from story to story,
> but, as I said, it was a long time ago.  Anyone else remember this show/movie?

The story where everyone is made equal to the lowest case is
"Harrison Bergeron," which appears in a collection of short
stories entitled "Welcome to the Monkey House." The story
"Welcome to the Monkey House" is about involuntary birth
control in a society that encourages celibacy and voluntary
euthanasia of the old.

Since I haven't seen the show, I don't know whether the traveler
was bopping from story to story, but it sounds like it! I've read
the collection many times, some of V's best work is there...

Eric Nyberg
ehn0@gte-labs.CSNET

dianeh@ISM780.UUCP (10/17/85)

> I saw a show on PBS years { & years } ago that had all this as seen by
> a time traveling space fellow.  I think he was bopping from story to story,
> but, as I said, it was a long time ago.  Anyone else remember this
> show/movie?

The film was titled Between_Time_and_Timbuktu:_A_Space_Odyssey, and was,
indeed, a conglomerate of several Vonnegut stories, including Cat's_Cradle
and Harrison_Bergeron. The main character was a guy named Stony Stevenson,
a regular Joe-Blow who won a contest that had as Grand Prize a trip to
the time-warping space called something like the Intergalactic Infindibulum.
It was a great film and, along with the PBS production of LeGuin's The_Lathe_
of_Heaven, ranks among my favorite sf films.  Unfortunately, as is typical
of PBS, they don't show their old stuff much, so the chances of seeing it
again are *very* slight. P.S. Bob & Ray are great as the commentators on
the television coverage of Stony's flight, which lasts for months and
months. Needless to say, they get rather hard up for commentary after
that long a period and begin discussing things like how Mars reminds them
of their driveway at home, which is painted red and isn't that a rather
unusual color for a driveway, yes it is...

Diane Holt
Interactive Systems Corp.
ima!ism780

jca@drutx.UUCP (ArnsonJC) (10/17/85)

If I remember correctly, the movie was in black and white and was
predominantly based on "Between Time and Timbucktoo"(sp??) It showed
in the late 60's early 70's sometime, I think.

			jill
			ihnp4!drutx!jca
--
			jill c. arnson
			ihnp4!druky!drutx!jca

May the hair on your toes grow ever longer.

zuker@cxsea.UUCP (Hunter Zuker) (10/18/85)

> From: "pugh jon%b.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
> That story where everyone must be equal, so they dropped everyone to the
> worst case was Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
>
> I saw a show on PBS years { & years } ago that had all this as seen by
> a time traveling space fellow.  I think he was bopping from story to story,
> but, as I said, it was a long time ago.  Anyone else remember this show/movie?
>
> Jon

I believe it was called _From_Time_to_Timbuktu_.  It covered a lot of Vonnegut's
short stories.  The particular sequence on equality was quite well done.

Hunter Zuker
Computer X, Inc.