[net.micro.amiga] Serial Driver

avery@puff.UUCP (Slippery Jim) (03/03/86)

Well, after much prodding and plodding through manuals, examining my
cable, and some trial and error, I managed to get my printer working
to my (almost) satisfaction. The xon/xoff flow control seems to function
properly now, so now my amiga waits patiently for my printer. I was,
however, wondering why, since they put all sorts of Data Set Ready
polling into the serial driver, they didn't allow one to select
DSR flow control for external hardware. I've always found xon/xoff
sooo inelegant...
	Also, I have been playing with a program which opens a screen and
no windows. When I wanted to add a close gadget to the screen, I did
everything I was told to in the manuals. I set up the gadget's Gadget
structure, and put a pointer to it in my NewScreen structure, and I
am all set, right? Wrong. Now I have to figure out how to get messages
from this gadget. I don't want to open a window to do so, and even if
I did, my manuals still don't say anything more about screen gadgets!
This may be covered in the 1.1 Rom Kernel manual or the erratas for the
others, but I doubt it. What I'd like to know, is how do I set up a port
for messages from Intuition about my gadget and have Intuition send
the appropriate messages to that port so that I can tell when the user
has hit the mouse button within a 10 by 10 square so that I can
reclaim the memory used by the screen! (Boy, all this fuss for just that
Martha?) Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think this is the right
approach to the problem, where opening up a 10 by 10 borderless backdrop
window on top of the screen's title bar just to find out when to exit
is a touch inelegant, and is merely unnecessary code.

Aaron Avery ({seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!uwvax!puff!avery) (avery@puff.wisc.edu)

tomp@amiga.UUCP (Tom Pohorsky) (03/05/86)

In article <663@puff.UUCP> avery@puff.UUCP (Slippery Jim) writes:
>Well, after much prodding and plodding through manuals, examining my
>cable, and some trial and error, I managed to get my printer working
>to my (almost) satisfaction. The xon/xoff flow control seems to function
>properly now, so now my amiga waits patiently for my printer. I was,
>however, wondering why, since they put all sorts of Data Set Ready
>polling into the serial driver, they didn't allow one to select
>DSR flow control for external hardware. I've always found xon/xoff
>sooo inelegant...

DSR flow control is indeed available, it's just not the default. To change
flow control, as well as any of the other serial device parameters, use
the setserial program from the CLI. Typing "setserial 0" will list all the
settable parameters, a perusal of serial.h or serial.i (in the ROM Kernel
manual and elsewhere) will let you know the options available and the
settings to use. Setserial is in the public domain, available from the
Fred Fish service, and (hopefully) your dealer. Typing "setserial 10 x84"
will disable xON/xOFF flow control AND enable DSR flow control (we call
it "7-wire protocol"). keep on slippin', tomp.

acs@amdahl.UUCP (Tony Sumrall) (03/06/86)

In article <800@amiga.amiga.UUCP> tomp@stella.UUCP (Tom Pohorsky) writes
(in reponse to article <663@puff.UUCP> avery@puff.UUCP (Slippery Jim)):

> ... Typing "setserial 0" will list all the
> settable parameters, a perusal of serial.h or serial.i (in the ROM Kernel
> manual and elsewhere) will let you know the options available and the
> settings to use. Setserial is in the public domain, available from the
> Fred Fish service, and (hopefully) your dealer. Typing "setserial 10 x84"
> will disable xON/xOFF flow control AND enable DSR flow control (we call
> it "7-wire protocol"). keep on slippin', tomp.

After inspection of serial.h I don't see a SerFlags for the x04 bit (of
the x84 you recommend).  Shouldn't this be defined in the include file or
have I missed something?
--
Tony Sumrall                    ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,seismo,sun}!amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

tomp@amiga.UUCP (Tom Pohorsky) (03/07/86)

>> Typing "setserial 10 x84"
>> will disable xON/xOFF flow control AND enable DSR flow control (we call
>> it "7-wire protocol").
>
>After inspection of serial.h I don't see a SerFlags for the x04 bit (of
>the x84 you recommend).  Shouldn't this be defined in the include file or
>have I missed something?

somewhat closer inspection reveals:

#define SERB_7WIRE      2       /*    "     RS232 7-wire protocol */
#define SERF_7WIRE      (1<<2)  /*    "     RS232 7-wire protocol */
                        ^^^^^^ = x04 bit

... *or* that baby up, and your cookin'...

acs@amdahl.UUCP (03/08/86)

In article <823@amiga.amiga.UUCP> tomp@stella.UUCP (Tom Pohorsky) writes:

> somewhat closer inspection reveals:
>
> #define SERB_7WIRE      2       /*    "     RS232 7-wire protocol */
> #define SERF_7WIRE      (1<<2)  /*    "     RS232 7-wire protocol */
>                         ^^^^^^ = x04 bit
>
> ... *or* that baby up, and your cookin'...

Well, I looked again and couldn't find SERB_7WIRE or SERF_7WIRE.  The
version that I have access to is 1.0-could it be that you're talking about
version 1.1?