[net.micro.amiga] Is Epson Printer Driver really fixed??

star@fluke.UUCP (David Whitlock) (03/07/86)

Two fixes for the Epson printer driver have been posted both to the Net and
AIN. The second of the two seems to be about 95% there but.... I still cannot
determine if the vertical dots per inch spacing is correct.  What is obvious is
that circles and squares and simple lines are longer than wider.  Most of the
source for the pictures dumped through the Epson come from Dpaint.  My question
is... is it the Epson Driver or Dpaint.  Can someone from CA shed some light
and if it is the driver, another encoded fixed driver.  (plindsey -CA) supplied
the last one.

--
Dave Whitlock

        {decvax!microsof,uw-beaver,ssc-vax,allegra,lbl-csam}!fluke!star

--John Fluke Mfg. Co., 33031 Schoolcraft Road, Livonia, MI 48150

daveb@amiga.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (03/09/86)

In article <3147@vax4.fluke.UUCP>, star@fluke.UUCP (David Whitlock) writes:
> Two fixes for the Epson printer driver have been posted both to the Net and
> AIN. The second of the two seems to be about 95% there but.... I still cannot
> determine if the vertical dots per inch spacing is correct.  What is obvious is
> that circles and squares and simple lines are longer than wider.  Most of the
> source for the pictures dumped through the Epson come from Dpaint.  My question
> is... is it the Epson Driver or Dpaint.  Can someone from CA shed some light
> and if it is the driver, another encoded fixed driver.  (plindsey -CA) supplied
> the last one.

	First let me start out by saying that I am the author of all the
graphic printer drivers for the AMIGA. Now on to business...

	The two fixes for the Epson/MPS-1000/Epson_JX-80 are the right
fixes and they do indeed bring the drivers up to 100% compatibility.
For references the two fixes were; 1) telling the printer to advance
8/72 of an inch (instead of 7/72) after 8 dots were printed and
2) telling the driver that the dot density is 72 dpi (instead of 82).

	HOWEVER, there is a problem. It seems that the paper advance mechanism
of 'some' epson/epson compatible printers is not very accurate and on
some printers 7/72 advancing looks better than 8/82 advancing. In theory,
if the printer works 100% to spec then advancing 8/72 inch is the correct
way to go.

	The next official release of the epson type drivers will default
to advancing 8/72 inch and we our investigating a way to allow the
user to override this and request 7/72 inch spacing. Perhaps, something
like setting the PaperSize to CUSTOM in preferences will do. I do not
know when the next official release will be, but I wanted you to know
that we our aware of the problem and will try and do something about it.

	For the majority of you, putting in the two previously mentioned
fixes will alleviate your problems.

	Regards, David Berezowski (CBM/AMIGA East Coast)