[net.micro.amiga] Function Keys

mkidwel@nswc-wo.ARPA@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/27/86)

From: mkidwel@nswc-wo.ARPA

Where can I find documentation regarding programming function keys?  I
would like to set them up to operate with certain codes I routinely use
in bulletin boards.  Have not been able to locate suitable documentation.

                                Michael Kidwell
                                mkidwel@nswc-wo

daemon@caip.UUCP (03/09/86)

From: mkidwel@nswc-wo.ARPA

I would like to be able to load simple commands into my function keys and
execute them when I am logged into a remote host using a modem.  A case
in point is multiple keystroke commands used with a word processing system.
Can anyone tell me how to accomplish this?  I have looked through the
hardware manual and cannot find such a reference.  Is it a matter of the
key codes being fixed and having to handle programming via software
interface?  If so, is there a way to circumvent this for use with
commercial software?
                              -Mike Kidwell-
                               mkidwel@nswc-wo

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (03/10/86)

In article <1473@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> mkidwel@nswc-wo.ARPA writes:
>From: mkidwel@nswc-wo.ARPA
>
>I would like to be able to load simple commands into my function keys ...
>                              -Mike Kidwell-
>                               mkidwel@nswc-wo

I would really like that, too, Mike.  The trick is to write an input handler
in the stream (before intuition).  One uses the ADD_HANDLER (or something)
to do this, as described in RomKernelManual, which everyone i know hopes
to eventually try.  Right, everybody?

In the meantime, maybe we should have a contest to get one of these things
in the public domain.  What happened to you guys/gals who said they were
producing one?  Honorary busy guys :^)

If it turns out that such a thing is real hard to write, please tell me why,
and i can do some research.
				go wild.
				jimm